How much do bridal dress alterations usually cost?

I bought my dress 3 years ago and was told if i keep it in storage and get a alteration done, I wont be charged to keep it there. I need to get my dress back (although im not even having a wedding anymore) and was wondering how much alterations usually cost and what the cheapest simplist thing to alter would be Thanks!

• Favorite Answer

It depends on where you go and what type of alterations need to be made . If you use the store where you purchased your dress, they will over-charge you. If you go to a reliable tailor, it will be cheaper.

Source(s): Bride to be. I had my gown taken in under the arm because it was a little too big and I was only charged $10 by a seamstress that I know personally.

If the gown doesn't need alterations, then you need to ask the storage place what the fee is for you to take it home with no alterations. You don't alter a gown that doesn't need it. If however the gown does need bodice work or hemming, then you'd have to get a quote from the place that's keeping your gown. It doesn't matter what I may think alterations cost, the only price that matters is what that shop is going to charge you so you can get your gown from them.

If you don't need the gown anymore, then ask if the place that's storing it can sell it. I assume it's a dress shop so if they sell other gowns retail, ask them to make you an offer for your gown and just be rid of it.

around 50 dollars ... I have a bridal dress and I will take to the store do alterations and I will pay 50 dollars...

• Kristy

Can you try explaining to them first that you're not getting married and see if you can appeal to their emotions so they don't charge you? Otherwise you will probably pay a lot. maybe ask if they can add a sash, that shouldn't be too expensive?

Good luck!

Wow.

I didn't even know you could do that.

Just get it hemmed.