Firearm Purchase and License to Carry?

I am 24 I want to go and purchase a firearm and get a license to carry

When i was about 13-15 im not sure i was 302 to friends hospital not even sure what for I was never told nor do i remember I also have Bipolar but I am a responsible adult and have never been arrested will any of this get me denied I am in Pennsylvania

1 Answer

  • James
    Lv 6
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    According to Pennsylvania Firearms law (Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act), a person who has been involuntarily committed to a mental institution would not be eligible to own or carry a firearm.

    From the law (6105 (c)(4) - under "Persons not to possess, use... firearms":

    "A person who has been adjudicated as an incompetent or who has been involuntarily committed to a mental institution for inpatient care and treatment under section 302, 303 or 304 of the provisions of the act of July 9, 1976 (P.L.817, No.143), known as the Mental Health Procedures Act. This paragraph shall not apply to any proceeding under section 302 of the Mental Health Procedures Act unless the examining physician has issued a certification that inpatient care was necessary or that the person was committable. "

    You could appeal to a judge for the restoration of your gun rights if you want.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.