chives asked in HealthMen's Health · 1 decade ago

Is Masturbation a sin?

25 Answers

Relevance
  • Geo
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    In order to be a sin. The bible (word of God) has to specifically say not to do it. There is no mention in the bible of masturbation in either the old or new testament. So it is not a sin. A passage used by the catholic church refers to Onan and they even call masturbation Onanism does not deal with masturbation. Onan practiced coitus interuptus. He withdrew his penis from the vagina before ejaculating. That is not masturbation or anything even close. So the truth. No masturbation is not a sin.

    Source(s): A wise old man
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Biblically speaking it is. There is a verse in the Old Testament (not sure what verse number) that states," It is better that a man's seed should take root in the belly of a whore than to be spilled upon the ground" However,modern society has accepted masturbation as a normal,healthy part of life. There is also another saying, " 99% of men admit to masturbating, the other 1% are lying" So go ahead.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Masturbation isnt a sin(from memory), Oman was punished because he didnt follow hebrew tradition and impregnate his deadbrother's wife.

    He practised coitus interreptus(pulling out of the vagina just before ejaculation), not masturbation. So if anything coitus interreptus is the sin, if you believe the bible(i do not)

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    I don't think so. At least 70% of the world masturbates. Just no one talks about it. Only the strict, devout Catholics don't. It's a natural thing and the bible does say go forth and multiply - well consider it practice to do such.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    The question was about sin--not about health or normality or how widespread the practice. According to most religions, it is a sin.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    it is not one of the 10 commandments therefore it isa not a sin in the eyes of god. sure the old testament has lots of prohibitions other than the big 10 but they are merely the laws of man not of god so they are hardly sins.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    even devoted catholics masturbate...they wouldn't tell you so though. Human nature is not god. Human nature is human.....it wouldn't be pleasurable to have sex if it were just a chore, would it? There for humans are meant to masturbate. Its life....no sin. you could be doing much much worse things.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    Just think of it as safe sex, No pregnancy, so no abortion for unwanted children. Most Dr's and progressive folks think of it as a healthy and normal sexual release. Most prudes think of it as sinful. Join the modern age relax and enjoy it, If it was a sin, it wouldn't feel do darned good

    Source(s): Just thought's that pass in the night
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    No it's not a sin. Only catholics think it's a sin.

    • Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    If it keeps you from having sex before marriage, it is acceptable. I'm Muslim btw, so that's our belief. I've been to a Catholic school for most of my elementary + middle so I'm pretty sure its a common belief. Let me put it this way, at least you cared enough to ask.

    • Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.