davispowell asked in PetsHorses · 1 decade ago

Did I do ok? Horse training Question?

How do I turn a bad experience into a win with my horse?

I've still got her saddled up and I don't want to take everything off of her because she scared me and if I want to have a win with her ...I suppose I need to take her out again. My plan was to tie her up for a while and just wait for her to calm down and then ride her again. But when I get back on her she's acting as if every little noise is more important than me being on her. I'm just not a very good rider...so I guess I'm looking for a way to kind of chicken out without losing big to her...as this will cause more problems later I'm sure. I should have started with her more slowly and on the ground....I know. But now what. I need a smart answer.....and hopefully one that's not going to result in me being thrown off and hurt.

Essentially I took her out for a ride when I wasn't ready....and have not ridden her in a while. (Since she bucked me off last time)

Why did I do that....crap. I've really gotten myself into a situation now I guess. I know...I just have to ride her to end up with a win....

Thanks

* 1 hour ago

* - 3 days left to answer.

Additional Details

43 minutes ago

Ok...what I've done.

I made her obey me...she was being really a ****. Would only lunge in one direction and was fighting me all the way that she didn't want to go the other way. I just kept at it and tied her up in between so she knew I wasn't letting her off the hook. Then she smashed my glasses off with her head...I got really mad and she knew she was in trouble. I took the gear and saddle off her...put her in a really small yard and persisted with her going in the direction "she doesn't like" until she did it with no problems. In the end she seemed to give more to me so I sprayed her down and played friendly for a while. I'm going to leave it and count that as a win but I'm going to have to assert myself more and make sure I don't leave her out too much. I'll get more advise from a good friend tonight and also will now read your comments so far. (I hope there is some advice here soon)

Thank you guys so much!!! I feel much better now. going slowly in small steps sounds like a really really good thing. My horse has always been a good girl. I'm sure that this is all my fault for not putting in the ground work....and I'm just starting to understand "respect" and how to foster it. I bred this horse so I've known her since she was born....but now she's grown and is starting to assert herself. I just need to train her better and stop being so so gentle with her . (I need to assert myself.) Thanks again for such great advise!!!

xoxo

Favorite Answer

Hmm. If your horse does not have much respect for you, which it sounds like she does not, you take this slowly and re-establish (or establish) respect with ground work first. Spend lots of time with the round pen or lunge line, until your horse will change speed, change direction, stop, and start at your command. Also, when the horse changes direction, it should turn toward you, not away. Turning away from you is dangerous to you (you could get kicked) and also is a sign of disrespect or mistrust. When you bring your horse to a stop, it should turn and "face up" to you, and should walk up to you to about arm's length away, then follow you until you issue a new command.

Also practice teaching your horse to respond to pressure - your horse should always move away from pressure. That means, if you press against your horse, it should move away from your pressure readily. Resisting the pressure, and pushing back against you, is a sign of disrespect to you. So is invading your space, and pushing your around with its head.

Before you ride again, make sure you've established your horse's respect on the ground, by making her respect your personal space, yield to pressure (both touch and pressure on the reins), and respectfully keep her face toward you, instead of facing off toward other distractions or turning away from you to kick.

Keep in mind: a horse is a lot bigger than you. She can hurt you badly without even intending to, if she is not made to respect you. You, on the other hand, would be pretty hard pressed to cause her any real harm. Horses communicate with eachother through physical interaction (biting and kicking eachother, or scratching eachothers' backs, etc.) and with body language (pinning ears, threatening gestures). Don't be afraid to use force (or a rope, or a crop if necessary) to keep your horse's attention. Don't let yourself be ignored or crowded, and don't be too gentle with a horse that is crowding your space - a horse is much more likely to hurt you if it's crowding you.

Lastly, all horses are essentially lazy bums. They want to get to stop and rest, and be left alone, or maybe rubbed. Whenever you see the behavior you want, give your horse a break. Give the reward before the horse has a chance to misbehave, and make the horse work again as soon as it stops enjoying the rest and starts getting distracted. Even if you're angry, it's important to always remember to reward good behavior, so that your horse doesn't get confused and discouraged, which can become frustration, which is dangerous for you.

It sounds like you already have the idea that you should try to quit each lesson on a good note, but sometimes you have to create a good note to quit on before you both get frustrated. If you don't see the lesson ending well, and you feel your horse's attention span slipping, change to an activity you know your horse will do well with. This might have to be something as simple as slipping into a halter and leadrope and making her lead at the proper distance, on the correct side, respectfully, or something like that. Just choose something you know she will handle well, and create a good situation to end with. That way, you'll keep yourself from getting into a situation where you are fighting to "win" a battle of wills.

Note: Please don't take offense if I've covered stuff that you already get. It sounds like you already get most of this stuff... but I just don't want to leave any holes.

Good luck with your ornery little gal!

Source(s): www.downunderhorsemanship.com

I just wanted to say that after having several horses I've met a lot of horse people that say their method is always 'the only method'. This makes it confusing, especially for training a horse, because there are so many ways to do things and so many work. Jumping from tip to tip can be frustrating for horse and rider.

I suggest you find someone with horses that have the attributes you'd like to instill in your horse, and get advice from their owners. That way you'd be consistent and even more confident since you'd have plan of action.

You'll do great with your horse, she's prolly just as unsure as you are, but I don't see any horrible mistakes in your description. Keep at it. Even the craziest horses have been trained to be respectable. It's not you; I just suggest getting a plan of action and sticking to it.

I have been bucked off, stepped on, drug, bitten and kicked- but when my horses finally 'grew up', it was sooo worth it. Nothing like a good ride!

Source(s): had horses and horses and horses!

Careful don’t humanise your horse, horses are not very smart, she doesn’t know that she broke your glasses or hurt you. The only thing you are achieving by punishing her, is teaching her that when you are around, bad things are going to happen.

You need to do two things with, positive reinforcement (when she’s calm or doing what you want ) and get her working every day. You have an energetic horse, you need to work that extra energy off, so she’s easer to handle.

Lunge her for max 30mins( horses do get bored of running in circles, you want to keep her enthusiasm) or take her out for a walk on a lead, if you don’t want to ride her, but do something daily. Horses are creatures of habit, work her the same time every day and you get a calmer happier horse.

Source(s): 20 years of working with horse and an education specialising in training problematic horses

It sounds like you've done well with her when you're doing groundwork (like making her work in her bad direction), however do NOT be afraid of her, you are supposed to be in charge of her and horses can sense when you're nervous or afraid.

Nothing comes easy with horses.. you just have to be firm and let her know that you are in charge of her, make her listen to you and in time she will get better.

As for the riding part, falling off is part of riding, it's going to happen at some point or another... it may shake you up a bit, but you're not going to be able to stay on until you fall off, just learn from it, pick yourself up, put a smile on and try again :).

I hope that helped some,

good luck! :)

ok well every one has told me you work teh horse till it does what you want it to do then you stop and put the horse away. This shows the horse they have done a good job and when they do what they are told and when they listen they get a brake. If your rideing a horse you make the horse do what you want and dont stop until they do it. Once tehy do it you get off and put teh horse away, or you could work on 1 or two things dpending on how long you worked on teh first thing. But you have teh idea just make her work until she does it. also how much training does this horse have and whats your level of expereince. If you get bucked off you should get back on unless your seriously hurt.

With any kind of animal training you need to start off "small". This means that you took too much time in trying to get the win. :) I know, I have done this so many times!

I had a very unruly arab stallion that I bought because his owner could not deal with him. Best horse I ever had but I had to figure him out. To "win" you need to end on a positive note as you know. Alwasys end positive as much as you can! But don't make it into a battle of wills because it them becomes "her versus you". This is a partnership-a friendship. You need respect of each other.

It must start out being small steps. Instead of lunging her for 15 minutes and getting you both frustrated because you are looking for her to do whatever it is that you consider "good", slow it all down. Break it into pieces. So, you get her out there and ask her to whoa. She stops good and stand quietly. Go pet and praise her lots and then quit. Maybe 10 mintues later...you go back. Ask her to whoa and maybe go another step but only one. She stands quietly and then she walks on quietly. Tell her what a good girl she is and in this example if you think she might not stop well again(hence ruining your praise), maybe gently walk up to her while she is walking quietly and keep praising her so you don't ruin the good walking she did. Then give her a break. I hope that made sense!

You literally need to show her that by doing as you ASK that she will be in good standing with you. You will be the happy leader and not stressed. This can take time but if you really pay attention and get good at the positive reinforcement, she will really catch on and you can have a great horse.

One thing with horses....you need to ASK and not TELL. Respect them but be the leader. Don't let her push you around but when you think that she needs to do something, ask her gently instead of telling her she has to do it. You will get resistance will the telling. Just like a kid....they don't like to be told what to do but if you coax them into it...they are much happier. :)

I could go on and on. Just start small and don't ride her for a while if you can help it. Work on her and you dealing with each other on the ground. Then, when the respect is a little better and you have gotten good at figuring out the small positive steps, riding will be easier, too. You will be less stressed and she will know that.

When you rider her the first time, just do like 2 things and then quit on a good note and get off and let her have her freedom. Like a quiet walk and maybe a relaxed slow trot. If she does well then let her have the rest of the time off. Get off and praise her lots. This is how I trained my stallion and he accepted it wonderfully. He was extremely smart and I had to outwit him and he respected me for it. I did not tell him what to do...he was WAY too independent. But when I asked with respect and love, he gave in to me and we were buds from them on. :)

Love and repsect. You can never go wrong. Even in the human world. Good luck!

ok wat you should do is get some body who nos wat there doin to help you but when you do this you will have to be the one who is doing most of the work because she will other wise learn to behave when the other person works with her and play up for you i dont realy think there is much you can do on your own because you sound pretty nervouse to me and it will only make things worse for your self so get eithor a trainer that works with horses and riders or a freind who you believe that no s a fair bit to help you this horse of yours needs some serious standing over by the sounds of it and if she bucks she needs someone who will not come off to have a ride so she doesnt learn any bad habbits as i said in this situation you can realy only get some one to help because it will end up getting worse for you leah

Source(s): horse breader breaker and educater

dont let her get away with anything. ie. the lunging in one drection make her go the other way. doesnt matter if it takes all night, make her do it