Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Do dogs get bored?

I got a dog for my high school graduation present and i have had him for about a month now.Since i have had him i put him on a 3 meal a day diet when he eats as soon as i wake up in the morning,during lunch time,and dinner.After she finish with every meal i take her outside to potty and i play with him such as run around the yard with her,play football with him and my kid brothers and play fetch under the sprinkles.Between those times she takes naps and then the same thind over again. He seems to be enjoying it when we are playing but when we get back in ill let him run around a little more then ill put him in his kennal. As he is in his kennal he cries and barks and for a while that he is in there i look at him and he is looking like he is bored..why is this?

Favorite Answer

put a mini black and white t.v. in front of his cage for your dog to watch to help pass the time faster.when he sees humans inside of the t.v., he won't feel as lonely/bored, because he probably thinks that the humans are talking to him:) remember to turn it off, when his curfew is up and it's bedtime.if he doesn't like the t.v., put a smiling picture of you in front of his cage, so he'll feel more at ease, since he feels a bit abandoned whenever you put him back in his cage.

because you haven't crate trained him to know that he must be quiet in his crate. He's trying to test you by crying to be let out, if you have given in even once then he's learned that this works. Remember, when you take him out of his crate he must be quiet when you're doing it. If he was barking or crying when you let him out then he's gotten it into his head that making noise will get him released.

If you've made sure that he associates his crate with nothing but POSITIVE things (which means you've never punished him and put him in the crate) then you just need to reinforce the positiveness. For example only give him a certain toy when he goes in his crate, give him a kong filled with treats and peanut butter to keep him occupied for a few hours.

You didn't mention how old your dog was, if he's a puppy then he's still being crate trained. If he's an older dog then he might not be crate trained properly or has never been in a crate. It takes time, positive reinforcement and rewards for only when he's in the crate.

Ignore crying this behavior will stop if you ignore. Depending on age, if he's a puppy then the above is enough activity right now, if he's 6 months and up then the above is not enough exercise you'll need to take him on 30 minute walk 2-3 times a day to help him release any frustration he has. You should reduce his meals to 2 x per day if he's older than 6 months. Smaller portions two times per day is usually better than one large portion.

Dogs do get bored, and if not sufficiently exercised then they will find ways to release that frustration, it will either be barking, chewing, and aggression.

First make sure you've crate trained properly and give him things to keep him occupied like a Kong toy. Sooner or later he'll learn that the crate is his "safe place" which means never using the crate as punishment. If sufficiently exercised your dog should have no problems going into his crate, make sure you exercise before crating and immediately after. Place a shirt that you've worn inside the crate so he has your smell with him it's comforting.

You're the pack leader, which means you're the boss not your dog, what's cute as a puppy IS NOT cute when they are a full grown dog, remember that the next time you laugh at his bad behavior because it's cute, imagine how not cute it would be if he was full gown. Also, if you own a small dog, don't let him get away with bad behavior because he's small, he will still need rules, boundaries and discipline, small dogs develop very bad aggression problems if not corrected young.

Good luck

Source(s): Owner of a Weimaraner

They get bored, but not like quite like people. People get bored because they want to do nothing. Dogs get bored because there's nothing to do. The best is to exercise her more (an hour is usually enough, unless it's some kind of sighthound or herder, then they need more), but if you can't afford more time to play with her, give her a toy or a bone from the pet store to chew on. That takes a long time to get old. You can also buy one of those Kong toys and put peanut butter on the inside of it- it takes them awhile to get it all. Just make sure she can't swallow it. Her barking and whining are attempts to get you to let her out- don't do it when she says or she's the master and you're the dog.

Source(s): I've had 6 dogs myself and taken care of plenty of others

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/o78BO

Yes, dogs can and DO get bored. She's a boxer... a high energy dog. When you walk her, does she get in a lot of running time? When your mom walks her and plays her, does she get to run? Chasing balls that you throw for her to fetch is a good way for her to get some running time in. When things are quiet it's possible that she wishes you could play with her, but if she's getting enough exercise, she can be happy enough sitting or lying there with you while you do things, including your studying for school. She enjoys being with you, so she's happy to lie nearby as you do your things that don't include her. If Ali was bored, she'd be misbehaving... tearing things up... causing problems.... So... if she's not acting out, you can figure that she's just enjoying having some quiet time in your presence. If she looks bored, maybe she'd prefer to be playing, but you have your work to do as well as caring for her. She's not your only responsibility. -!-

YES!!!

Young dogs get bored very easily, therefore they need a lot of toys, entertainment, training, the occasional big marrow bone to gnaw on. Ideally they would have another dog to play with.

The dog also needs to learn that there are times when nobody plays with them. I am not a fan of putting dogs in kennels and crates. All my dogs have always been allowed the run of the house, and when they are tired they sleep. When I WANT them to be quiet I make them "drop" (i.e. lie down), and they get a big marrow bone or a healthy chewy for their teeth. Preferrably they should have a bed, or basket, or blanket in spot a bit out of the family traffic, but where they can still see and hear what is going on.

Dogs are pack animals. They get very sad and lonely when isolated from their family.

+++

PS.

What breed is your dog?

And how old?

Boy or girl dog? You sometimes call the dog "her" and sometimes "him".

+++

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Do dogs get bored?

I got a dog for my high school graduation present and i have had him for about a month now.Since i have had him i put him on a 3 meal a day diet when he eats as soon as i wake up in the morning,during lunch time,and dinner.After she finish with every meal i take her outside to potty and i play with...

Source(s): dogs bored: https://tr.im/yxJMJ

Dogs do get bored. Try getting some toy like a kong that she can play with and can be stimulated. She could also be sulking as the play time has finished. Let her take naps & feed her in her kennel as this will teach her that this is her place and it is place to be quiet. Take no notice of her barking as your taking notice of it will only enforce that she can get your attention this way

if he has no toys, then he is probably bored. and yes, dogs do get bored. try putting some chew toys in his crate. also, all puppies cry when they're in crates. but, it will eventually stop. he cries, because he doesn't like his kennal. but, like i said, that should eventually stop. u could even try putting like a blanket over the front. his kennal should be in a quiet area, where not to much goes on. he will learn that when he goes in the kennal, it's time for him to settle down, and take a rest. cause he will learn that he will not stay in there forever. i just hope that u take him out before he goes down for the night.

hope this works for u. best wishes =)

Source(s): experience, my family raises pre- giude dogs (puppies who need to learn the basic commands, and be socialized)

They CAN get bored...if he's only a puppy, then that would make sense. Dogs are like humans, they can get bored. And for the kennel...it's probably because there's not a lot of room for him to move around.

I'm doing basic obedience right now. My trainer hasn't once handled my dog. He has shown me how to handle my dog by using his own dog but that's about it. The reasoning is that I need to learn how to do these basic corrections and what not myself. Learn more https://tinyurl.im/Dy2Nq

I have never considered sending my dog away for training. I guess I haven't found that much of a problem with him to even think about it.

Again, it may also have to do with the level of training you are looking for etc. No idea lol. I'm not a trainer. I think a first time dog owner needs to learn simple commands and how to handle their dog themselves as well.

Dogs can get tired and not want to play but the emotion of boredom is to present with dogs. Your dog may be tired or lonely but not bored.