I Need web design tips?

I am looking for a software that is easy to use but can do alot, i have a friend who uses the old microsoft front page and that just seems difficult. Any ideas on good software? It also has to be mac compatible, and i would like to be able to publish sites to hostgator.com and webs.com. Thank you

If this helps: I'm looking to get into web design but know zero in "coding" i didn't know if there was a program sort of like a lot of the online building programs except i wanted to be able to design offline.

In short maybe a program with a drag and drop interface... I want to be able to add pictures and videos to my site. thanks for the help

Favorite Answer

I'm a Mac user and professional web designer and programmer. When designing a new website, my workflow often begins with Adobe Photoshop where I create the look and feel of the design. I create the buttons and tabs for navigation, place the logo and other graphics, and then use the slice tool to cut it up into the pieces.

Next, I move over to Adobe DreamWeaver where I build the layout with HTML and CSS. The slices from PhotoShop can be incorporated using DreamWeaver's image and CSS tools. I use DreamWeaver's split view to see the code view and the preview at the same time. I find it is often faster to make edits in the actual code rather than use the WYSIWYG tools. Seeing the preview at the same time is very handy. Additionally, DreamWeaver is what I use to upload the site files to the server.

Once the layout is done I do most of the other work such as JavaScripting, PHP coding and tweaks to the HTML and CSS using BBEdit. BBEdit is an excellent text editor specifically designed for working with all of the common web development languages. Syntax coloring lets you see and catch errors immediately. BBEdit is my preference for editing code, but DreamWeaver can do it too.

These have been my tools of choice for many years. They've been working for me and perhaps you can find free trials to test some of these programs.

In response to your additional details:

No coding? Ok, Adobe Fireworks might be an option for you. You can learn about it here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/fireworks.html

You might get a good idea of what the program is about by watching some of the videos featured on that page. A free trial of it is available here:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?produc...

Hope this helps!

Use a fixed-position navigation format for easy navigation for your users. This allows you to lock the panel for navigation in place while users scroll. Not only do visitors find this convenient, but so do internet marketers who have calls to action they want in place.

Before you publish any web page, check it carefully for broken links. Nothing is more frustrating to a visitor than clicking on a link and being taken to an error page. You can check your links manually, or there are programs that will scan your site for you and report any broken links.

Break up long text blocks. Having a huge wave of text is unnecessary for any site, especially when you can break it up by using images, or even separating it into different pages. Boring your viewers will only make them leave, so keep things as simple and fresh as possible.

Whoever your target audience may be, loading time ought to be under ten seconds. A site that is designed well will only take a few seconds to load. If it takes too long, a visitor is simply going to become frustrated and go elsewhere.

The best web sites communicate a lot of information in a small amount of words. If you are long-winded, people will easily get bored and find another site that is more concise. Make sure any content is relevant and easy to understand – newspapers use an eighth grade reading level, which is the most common literacy level.

Organize your links and avoid putting too many links in one area of your site. Doing this can confuse visitors and make them leave your site. If you do have many low- to mid-importance links, emulate the “blogrolls” seen in many blogs and tuck them away in a column on the right side of the page.

Designing a website is possible if you are willing to acquire a few skills. There are some fundamental principles involved with web design that, once learned, help you to figure out the entire genre.

Source(s):

http://zerodue-design.com/blog/ease-website-design...

Not sure how much code you know, but all you really need is notepad and a browser. (I suggest notepad ++). If you are looking to spend some money and get a good visual editor, Adobe's Dreamweaver is the way to go. There are some other ones that are free online, not sure how good those are. Good luck

• Devon

Mac has a built in program called iWeb that is very easy to use.

It's not so hard to write html manually.

Your question is confusing but I think I understand what your saying. I use TextWrangler. It is made for the mac.

at least you have to learn html, css, and how to use dreamweaver well.