Web Dev/Design guidelines?

I've tried making websites twice and it looked okay in dreamweaver and when tested in browsers but I'm still unsure whether I'm doing everything right. So, I was wondering if anyone could give me guidelines on which stuff I need to learn about, in case I missed something.

..and also, what skills/languages do most companies look for these days in terms of web dev/design?

(I'd much appreciate it if answers came from those that have worked in the field?)

(If you know of links that teach the guidelines you're going to post, would you mind adding them? It's okay if you don't have links, I could just google them anyway.)

Thanks in advance :)

Favorite Answer

I'm sure if it looks right you did everything you want to right. If you are using a company to host your server you just have to make sure all your url directory paths are correct so your images, links, etc.. Example if you have your file that was in C: Images/Music/CantonJones.jpg when you upload it you should have a file directory (on the host site) for it, possibly with the same file path and name http://www.yoururl.com/music/cantonjones.jpg. We don't know exactly what all the guidelines you need and would like to see your sample page in order to help out better.

These are the basic codes to learn about:

Tables

Frames & Targeting frames

Images & Fonts,

There may be more but these are the basics that I know of.

You can youtube it as well.

I learned how to do HTML basically years ago by using Explorer "Source" option off other people's websites to copy and learn from other people's pages.

check out w3.org they are the authority on web related activities and they specify various guidelines for building websites (mobile sites included) and they provide a validator which can run through your code and tell you if you have followed the rules.

also check out Smashing Magazine they offer various tutorials on web related things.

Hope this helps

Cheers.

Whizz is genuine, purely a link is a vio. you're accredited to declare (working example) a good answer for it quite is information see link for extra records. The link then supplementations the respond.