houseplant problem- sticky leaves?

I inherited a hanging basket plant- I think it's called a "wandering jew". (it's got long narrow fern-like leaves of green and white?) Recently I noticed a sticky residue on the leaves. It is actually staining the windowsill beneath it. What is it and how do I treat it?

Favorite Answer

Look under the leaves. You will probably find very small insects. They pierce the cells of the leaves to extract the fluid. The sticky residue that you are seeing is their waste. Get an insecticidal soap from your garden center and treat the plant according to the label directions. Make sure to treat the underside of the leaves.

i could only positioned them the two interior the bathe or below the sink with a sprayer. I never had to wipe any leaves off and that they seem to love the bathe with the curtain closed for 10-quarter-hour.