Dog Adoption Fees?

I live in Oklahoma City, and We have around 8 shelters here in the city, and more spread out in Oklahoma. All of the adoption fees are $65, and that includes vet check, shots, spay/neuter, de-worming, 30 days free of health insurance, heartworm test, flea and tick treatment, microchipping, and anything extra that... show more I live in Oklahoma City, and We have around 8 shelters here in the city, and more spread out in Oklahoma. All of the adoption fees are $65, and that includes vet check, shots, spay/neuter, de-worming, 30 days free of health insurance, heartworm test, flea and tick treatment, microchipping, and anything extra that they need before a good trip to a loving home.

But, then I see other adoption centers/shelters/rescues with adoption costs up to $300 for a dog and $115 for a cat! They get the same treatment before a good home as our shelters do. There are 2 in my state, but most of them are other states.

Why is this?
Update: Bob - Good for you for volunteering in a rescue! :) I'd love to start one someday. I've seen both. Some rescues are pretty expensive, and some shelters are the same price as well. :-P Iggy - I was doing research and I was just surprised at the prices. I don't want to change shelters, I love my... show more Bob - Good for you for volunteering in a rescue! :) I'd love to start one someday. I've seen both. Some rescues are pretty expensive, and some shelters are the same price as well. :-P

Iggy - I was doing research and I was just surprised at the prices. I don't want to change shelters, I love my shelter to death! :) I just didn't understand why our shelters are so much more inexpensive.
Update 2: Everyone is giving such great answers! :) I understand now. I think I'm going to commit myself more to rescues from now on.