How do you teach your kids about gun safety?

I'm not having kids in the near future but sometime down the road I will. I also want to own guns for recreational purposes (shooting ranges and home defense). Even though when I do own guns I will also have a secure gun safe, I want to ensure that my future children both understand and respect guns, how to use them, and how to be safe with them. I feel that if I just forbid my kids from going near them at all it will turn into the "forbidden fruit" complex and they will eventually get hold of them and something bad will happen because they don't know how to use them safely.

What is the best way to teach children how to respect and be safe with guns, and at what age should I introduce them?

Favorite Answer

I think you should introduce them to your guns, in the comfort of your own home, unloaded, when they are of a reasonable age to absorb and understand the gravity of the gun. Let them handle them, and teach them the rules of safe gun handling at all times. If they're curious about them, then so much the better, and it's especially good that it becomes a NORMAL thing to them.

When I was a kid, I was curious about knives. I was surrounded by knives and taught to respect them. Because of that, I had no particular interest in screwing around with a knife; they became an ordinary object on the table, like a candle, or a pack of matches... Both of which are also capable of terrible damages, but are harmless if respected.

i live in rural West Virginia..guns are part of life here, I have never really thought about "how" to teach gun safety, it is basically second nature, when kids are small ALL guns are always locked up in the gun cabinet and the key securely hidden out of reach.as they get older you teach them to never touch them unless you are there with them and say its ok, and when they are old enough you start teaching them to shoot, by this time they have acquired a healthy respect for them because they have been taught to.most people here are avid hunters, we dont need them so much for protection the crime rate here is extremely low.there is no set right or wrong way to teach them, like all kids it differs by how they absorb being taught and how the parent handles delivering the information.

We have several guns. They are a way of life out here in B.F.E. My son is 19 months so they are kept in a locked case, they were before we had him, so that hasn't really changed. I was raised around guns and played with fake ones. I knew the difference, my son will too. When you are raised around them, you learn fast. Just explain like all the good parents do, and your children will know, and you won't have to worry about them shooting themselves or anyone else.

Shoot one of them at an early age so that the memory will be burned into their brains for the rest of their lives.

• I tell my kids that only cowards use guns.

It takes a real man to fight with a sword