How do you teach your kids about gun safety?

I'm not having kids in the near future but sometime down the road I will. I also want to own guns for recreational purposes (shooting ranges and home defense). Even though when I do own guns I will also have a secure gun safe, I want to ensure that my future children both understand and respect guns, how to use... show more I'm not having kids in the near future but sometime down the road I will. I also want to own guns for recreational purposes (shooting ranges and home defense). Even though when I do own guns I will also have a secure gun safe, I want to ensure that my future children both understand and respect guns, how to use them, and how to be safe with them. I feel that if I just forbid my kids from going near them at all it will turn into the "forbidden fruit" complex and they will eventually get hold of them and something bad will happen because they don't know how to use them safely.

What is the best way to teach children how to respect and be safe with guns, and at what age should I introduce them?