How Young is TOO Young To Teach Kids About Gun Safety?

Ok - before I get a bunch of "you're crazy" comments hear me out. I have no kids, but was listening to a radio show. they had a debate about how young a child should be before they learn to shoot and learn about gun safety. some people said their kids are excellent shooters and are as young as 7 years old. they know all about gun safety as well. my point is, do you keep them in the dark about guns, or teach them at a young age - just interested in opinions...

• PetMom
    Favorite Answer

My family hunts. The majority of meat eaten in our home comes from either hunting or fishing. As a result, their have been guns in our home since before our children were born, and they were in my parents home from the time they set up housekeeping.

Gun safety wasn't anything special when we were growing up. It was the way we lived. We knew where the gun cabinet was, where the key to unlock it was kept, and that the guns were not toys. We'd been to the gun range and shooting competitions by the time we were out of diapers. We were in the field helping flush birds before we started school. It was a way of life.

We have raised our children the same way. The only difference between my husband and myself and our children, is that everything we learned, we learned at the knees of our parents. We weren't required to attend classes, take tests, or carry certification cards. By the age of ten, our children both had attended gun safety and hunter safety classes and have the cards to prove it.

There is nothing wrong with beginning gun safety at a very early age. It is beneficial in the long run. If there are guns in the home or shooting sports are a common practice in the family, the earlier, the better.

I don't believe a child can be to young to learn the safety of anything. Its like teaching a baby what hot means. As a parent we want our kids safe and if they know a gun can hurt at a young age that's excellent! As to what age is appropriate for them to shoot the gun, any age as long as they are supervised. If they grow up shooting then they will learn quicker what a gun can do if used in the wrong way.

• y

I don't have any idea, i guess it would be at the age that they would be exposed to them. In different states and parts of states that would be different. Around here, there isn't an awful lot that have guns, go hunting and all that crap. So the age would be older. In some places, hunting is a way of life and everyone has at least one around. In those communities it would be an ongoing lesson from a very young age because they would be all around the child. Too many get hung up on what their way of life would dictate and totally disregard the other types of lifestyles throughout this country.

No age. A child can learn about gun safety long before they are old enough to learn to shoot, just as they can learn about road safety long before they are old enough to go somewhere without an adult.

At seven my kids had certainly learned about gun safety. Would I have considered them safe to be using a gun? Heck no. What they knew was "you don't touch guns EVER."

this is based on my opinion only but if there are guns in the home or if the child is exposed to weapons then education is very important A child at any age has a certain understanding of things they are taught but they must be taught(safety, use, ect) and if the guns are always locked and the child only has access with the guidance of a responsible adult the risk is minimal

I think there is no "too young" to teach them how to handle firearms responsibly! The key to gun safety is not to be scared of guns but to respect them and what they are capable of!

well i started at 7 but i would say 10-11