promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Rick
Lv 4
Rick asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 1 decade ago

Should gun safety be taught in public schools?

Over 300 million Americans, over 80 million gun owners, and that's just those that are registered.

The liberals keep complaining about the dangers of guns, why not teach it?

Please explain your answer.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • ldp
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Gun safety should be taught as it affects the children's chances of survival, whether we teach it or not some students will be exposed to guns on a daily basis. Not dealing with the issue does not mean it does not exist or all is well because it is not in our face. If we teach them about healthy eating and about mental and physical well being ; gun safety is part of physical well being and should be included. It is part of their everyday existence.

It should be taught in terms similar to HIV/Aids prevention as abstinence and along side this they need to be taught methods of resolving conflicts other then resorting to violence. I believe it cannot be taught alone it must be integrated with other mental and physical well being classes. Let us not forget it must then be discussed in the religious and values education classes.

As individuals and future leaders of homes, community and country they must be given the opportunity to internalize the impact of guns on an individual's life and then on a bigger scale. To appreciate this they need to be exposed to sessions on the value of life.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

I live in probably the gun capital of America. We have a Federal Law Enforcement Training Center here. Many prestigious shooters have relocated here from all over the country to take firearms instructor positions. There are more Class III and Title II license holders here than I could count. The point is,everyone has a mutual respect for their neighbor here. We have NO violent crime. Especially home invasion. You will most certainly be killed. When children who have been taught that guns are taboo finally get their hands on one,all they know is what they've seen in movies,rap videos and on TV. A bad combination. A firearm is no different than a power tool. It is to be respected. If public schools teach children about sex,they should be taught the function,safety and respect of these common tools as well as the respect for human life.

• 1 decade ago

The NRA has the Eddie Eagle program that is designed for grade school kids. The message it teaches is simple.

If you see a gun, don't touch it.

Leave the area.

Tell an adult.

That's it in a nutshell. And for this the NRA has been demonized as trying to indoctrinate kids. Many schools refuse to run the program just because it's an NRA program.

To many people in charge of running our schools, guns are evil and should only be mentioned in that context. Nothing else satisfies them.

I will mention that many liberals claim to be pro gun. Yet if that is so, I can't understand why they insist on voting in anti-gun liberals politicians. It makes me think they are conflicted.

• 1 decade ago

It's been shown that once people know how to safely handle the firearm and respect it, they are less likely to commit a gun related offense. My grandfather taught my brother and I how to safely handle and discharge a firearm when we were about eight. We hardly ever even got into fist fights at school, much less even THOUGHT about bringing a gun in to solve our problems. That's because grandpa taught us to respect the firearm and its power. Emphasis must be placed on taking care of the firearm and controlling it (aiming only at the target, making sure you don't hit anything else when firing, etc.) These concepts are basic to marksmanship, which can be a very relaxing sport when done only as such. We were also taught not to point one at anyone, ever (remember we were about eight and rules change a little as you get older. That rule should stay in place, period, but in defence of one's home, the rules change again).

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

No. Just like sex education, it should be taught by the parent when they feel they are mature enough to learn about it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.