Wedding dress: bridal salon or dressmaker?

I am a plus size bride and can't find a dress that I like. I like part of on dress and another part of a different one. I am thinking of going to a dressmaker and having my dress made. Does anyone have experience with this?

Favorite Answer

No one ever thinks of a larger size wedding dress, nor do they think that a larger size woman cares. Personally, I needed my arms covered, and no distinguishable waist line, so I chose a dress that had an empire waist and was careful of the material that I selected so that nothing was accented harshly. You will need a flow to the bottom of the dress to make you look more even and do try to stay away from strapless or accented bust lines. I was a 'dressmaker when I was young and I know there is a dress for you out there somewhere. Be sure that you discuss what you want with the dressmaker before you blindly choose parts of dresses you like for once the dress is cut, you will no long be able to change your mind. It may be wise to make a trip to a few bridal salons to see what does look best on you and then choose the patterns that you want to follow in your own dress. Good luck and God Bless.

I would definetly go with a dressmaker, just be sure she has good experience and take pictures of the top, waist, bottom of dress that you want so that she will be something to go by and if she knows her job she will make the first try on a little bigger so for nips and tucks whereever needed.Good luck. I am a plus size and know the frustration of getting clothes to fit and to find no offense clothes that are big enough. Good luck.

I am a dressmaker and have worked with brides (and non-brides) of all sizes and shapes. I know I have the combination of design sense, fitting, and sewing skill. Many people write in Yahoo Answers the it is cheaper to so "go to a seamstress" and that may be true in some parts of the country and with less experienced people. I make no claim of that, but do promise to make any client look and feel her best. And you do save in that the fitting is part of the cost, not an add on to the retail price. If you happen to be in Southern CA my website is www.carolvick.com and I would be happy to consult with you.

Try a online shop which make dress for you.

I suggest you to go to www.dresstimes.com they sell wedding dresses onine,you may find a perfect one for yourself.