laughing asked in PetsHorses · 1 decade ago

Question about horse training?

So I'm good at saddle breaking, but not good at all about teaching gates. I can get the saddle on them, teach them left and right, all the basics, but definitely not finish them.

I was wondering, if I started the horse, how much training with a professional would I need after? One month? Two? I can afford one, but not sure how I'd make it to two... And once he knows the gaits I can most definitely work with him on it. I would like him to be show trained, in case you wanted to know the amount.

Thanks!

Best Answer

Well if the horse is solid under saddle at the walk trot and can stear and the trainer can get on and ride from the first you can probable get a fairly good start on a month. The horse will not be consistent as far as leads and rate but they will have a good idea. I would suggest that if you are looking at using a trainer find a good reining trainer in your area. Might cost a bit more per month but what you will get in the end will be well worth it. A reining trainer by nature of the sport is very good at gates and leads. I would also see if you can work something out that you can have them put about 90 days on the horse. I know that is more then you think you can pay but again in the end you will end up with a horse who is more consistent and a better start. My fear with only putting a month on a horse is that they are not resistant and still do not really have a good grasp on it and if you are not quite sure about what you are doing it is very easy to back track and then your money might be wasted.

Source(s): 15 years of breeding raising and showing horses and using trainers.
  • Finley

It depends on you and your horse.

When you say you are good at saddle breaking...does this mean that when you get to put a saddle and ride the horse, you have no big problems? There's no bucking, bolting, otherwise big issues? If yes, then that's definitely a plus. Because then it can take less time for a pro trainer to add the gaits with a rider.

If there are any big issues at all...then this means that it won't be as easy to add the rest of the training and it can take longer, because of these "holes" in the training.

Typically when a horse is started, a trainer will want to go at all gaits asap. it's just a matter of the horse getting balanced and comfy with the rider then adding leg cues then direction at all gaits. It's typically in one month's time....but that's just a start....you'd have to keep the training going for months to really get the horse going.

To show train....that's going to take longer because it's more detailed and precise. So, you're looking at about a year's time at least to get an unbroke horse to the point to where he's good enough to start showing. Anything less may be way too soon and a rush job that can cause problems (for the horse, fear issues, etc).

The horse also needs to be built up, in muscle and lung power to hold a headset, to collect, etc...

Might be closer to two years on down the line....depends on the horse and on you.

What do you know about collection? (not just the headset, but the hindquarters coming up under the horse for support).....what about headset? What about leads? What about using your seat and your legs and your reins?

It's a process, but if you're up to it, you'll want to get training alongside the horse. And that'll be longer than just a couple of months time.

Most trainers do not price based on broke or not broke...they have a flat fee of X amount of dollars per month and that's it. They will sometimes cut you a small deal if you have more than one horse going to them for training or will be keeping the horse in training for 3 or more months. Basic run of mill back yard type trainers start at 400.00, People who train for a living are right around 500-700.00, Big name show trainers can easily be 700-900 or more a month. Go on the internet and look up trainers for what you want your horses job to be...go see how much they are charging. Your also not going to send a green broke horse to a trainer for a month or two and get back a finished horse...or anything close to a finished horse...you'll get back a much better behaved, smoother riding horse who knows more about the basics.

Source(s): My life!
  • erdahl

I might say proficient horses are less difficult to journey most effective for the reason that they have obtained "mileage" and so whilst soliciting for anything they surely recognise what you desire, at the same time no longer always giving it to you, they comprehend. Where in inexperienced horses you've got obtained to train them what you are asking, and many times this turns right into a wrestle. School horses are plenty distinct considering the fact that they are utilized in courses more commonly and get right into a hobbies, and in general break out with being lazy, so for you driving a inexperienced horse might be distinct, and normally extra a laugh, reason you could have slightly extra forwardness and no more predictability.

It's a difficult question to answer as it totally depends on your horse. Some will pick things up quicker than others. To be honest you'd be better off waiting until you could afford 2 months just in case, it would be awful to get through one month, need another month but not be able to afford to carry on.