Bunny asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 1 decade ago

Question about horses' behaviour...?

Why don't the horses trample the people lied down on the ground??

• Best Answer

Horses are a prey animal. They have two choices, fight, or flight.

Horses almost always choose to flee danger. It is instinc within horses to not step on something which might damage their legs.

I have 9 horses. I want very brave horses, like police horses. So I spend all kinds of time training my horses to do things they would not naturally do. Almost all of it involves stepping on, or over something they view as scary.

There's a famous horse photographer (who's name escapes me at the moment). He was taking pictures of wild horses. He climbed up a tree, to get some of the pictures, but left his cammera bag, and very expensive lenses on the ground. The herd stampeded directly over the path which he had left his cammera bag laying. He climbed down from the tree, very sad, expecting to find a bunch of broken bits.

Even though the herd had run directly over his bag, it was entirely untouched. Horses are very careful where they put their feet and legs.

~Garnet

Homesteading/Farming over 20 years

Horse owner over 30 years.

Source(s): Me, Myself & I

one million) Are horses intelligent and in what manner? Like puppies, you might have obtained a variety of intelligence there. They almost always have very well recollections and are well at telling time (sticking with workouts). two) Do horses have powerful tricky personalities the way in which puppies, cats or individuals do? Yes, so much of them. three) Do horses request awareness from their homeowners? Some do, a few do not. Depends on how they had been raised and dealt with. I believe so much study to crave awareness, and mistreated ones may also be transformed. four) The police use horses for rebellion manage and I puzzled why they do not freak out with the entire commotion. Then anyone mentioned that they used to take horses into wrestle. Even extra cause to surprise why they do not freak out. Their first intuition is to freak out. Police horses are proficient and desensitized NOT to. A horse's first security is FLIGHT, considering they are so rapid. If that does not paintings, they're going to battle. Only sufferer coaching can lead them to "bombproof". five) Why do they euthanize horses once they holiday their legs as a substitute of changing them? Economics, by and large. Usually you can listen approximately this with race horses. I race horse in a forged does now not make the landlord any cash. Also, with their weight, solving damaged legs can result in headaches. It may also be and is finished, even though. 6) How lengthy do horses lie all the way down to sleep in line with day? Again, is determined by the pony, however now not a entire lot, possibly one million hour. They have a examine ligament that permits them to sleep status up with out falling over.

People are squishy and horses don't like to step where it's squishy.

Most horses will try not to step on something unusual lying on the ground, and they are careful where they put their feet unless they are running in a herd or in a panic. Mares are naturally careful where they put their feet when they have a foal taking a nap near them.

I've personally been run over by a horse on two occasions and both times I wasn't stepped on even though they went right over top of me.

• SC

If your question is why, if a person is on the ground and a horse runs over them, they rarely get stepped on is that a horse is very careful about where they step. A mis step by a horse can break a leg which, in the wild, would mean the animal would die. Horses instinctively know that they should be careful where they place their feet so seeing an object on the ground (especially one that is unusual such as a person laying on the ground) the horse will attempt to avoid it.

There's no reason for them to. The only time people get trampled is by accident, if the horse doesn't realize they are there or is panicked. Horses don't actually attack people unless they are backed into a corner and can't run away. I wouldn't want to trample people either, though, it would get messy.

Why would they want to?