Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.
A plant to clean the house air?
Any suggestions on house plants that clean the air??
- EclecticLv 71 decade agoFavorite Answer
The list below is from the first of the articles cited below. I like spider plant because it is so hearty it requires little care and even a brown thumb like me can't kill it. They are cheap and if you know somebody who has one, you can start one from theirs. They grow little "starters" on their branches, just clip one.
Philodendrons and pothos are also easy to care for. Both are cheap.
Some years ago, they advertised on television pots with fans in them that moved the air through the roots of the plant and improved the amount of air the plant could freshen. I couldn't find any when I googled it, but the second citation mentions it.
Use of plants was studied indept by NASA. Both articles mention that. Your idea is a valid idea.
1. Philodendron scandens `oxycardium', heartleaf philodendron
2. Philodendron domesticum, elephant ear philodendron
3. Dracaena fragrans `Massangeana', cornstalk dracaena
4. Hedera helix, English ivy
5. Chlorophytum comosum, spider plant
6. Dracaena deremensis `Janet Craig', Janet Craig dracaena
7. Dracaena deremensis `Warneckii', Warneck dracaena
8. Ficus benjamina, weeping fig
9. Epipiremnum aureum, golden pothos
10. Spathiphyllum `Mauna Loa', peace lily
11. Philodendron selloum, selloum philodendron
12. Aglaonema modestum, Chinese evergreen
13. Chamaedorea sefritzii, bamboo or reed palm
14. Sansevieria trifasciata, snake plant
15. Dracaena marginata , red-edged dracaenaSource(s): http://www.cleanairgardening.com/houseplants.html http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/ygbrief...
- EmLv 61 decade ago
- daisyLv 71 decade ago
All plants create oxygen. But for clean air you need acan of Oust unscented to rid pet, cooking, smoke, or any offensive odors.
- 5 years ago
Dracaena, a member of the succulent family will flower, but only with high root temperatures. Many very nice, easy to grow, varieties.
- Anonymous1 decade ago
this link can help you