Why should I use wordpress?

I keep seeing this buzzword on job postings. But as far as I can tell wordpress just runs HTML and CSS code. So If I know how to code with HTML and CSS why should I use wordpress? Is it faster, and if so by how much. I've looked at some source code for wordpress pages and the code looks bulky and hard to read... show more I keep seeing this buzzword on job postings. But as far as I can tell wordpress just runs HTML and CSS code. So If I know how to code with HTML and CSS why should I use wordpress? Is it faster, and if so by how much. I've looked at some source code for wordpress pages and the code looks bulky and hard to read with class names that are longer than the details for this question. Personally I can write some pretty fast html code that follows standards and is easy on the eye.
Update: I'm learning PHP and SQL. Is there good money to be made in developing and selling wordpress themes?