Adopting a dog as a gift for my dad?

I'd like to get a dog for my dad, but i'm not sure how to go about it. A couple summers ago my family dachshund died. My dad is still very sad about it, and says how he still misses her. I am away at college, and my brother is about to graduate high school and move away too. My dad will be alone, and I am... show more I'd like to get a dog for my dad, but i'm not sure how to go about it.

A couple summers ago my family dachshund died. My dad is still very sad about it, and says how he still misses her. I am away at college, and my brother is about to graduate high school and move away too. My dad will be alone, and I am worried about him. I was thinking to get him a dog from the shelter for his birthday present.

I'm wondering if it would be better to pick out a dog and surprise him, or take him to the shelter to pick one out. I'm worried if we took him to pick out a dog, he would try to get one that looks just like our dachshund who passed away. We loved our dog, but I don't want dad to try and replace her.

But I also don't know if it is a great idea to surprise him. I know he would love to have another dog, I'm just worried about picking one he doesn't like.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!