Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Christianity is a cop out!?

Or some have said. The reason is because Christianity is so much like other religions.

According to Mormons, God once said to Joseph smith that the (other) churches draw near to him with their lips, but not with their heart.

Could the reason Christianity is SO much like the other religions is because the others only had parts of the truth, or only parts of the way you're suppossed to worship. And when Jesus came, and founded His church, He told us how things are suppossed to be.

How you're suppossed to worship and stuff?

P.S. I'm not mormon, so if I got that quote wrong, sorry.

Helen, that is not what I asked....thumbs down.

First, I don't believe that it is a cop out. Someone else said it the other day on here.

But it is alot like other religions. Jewish and pagan believes are the main influences(duh jewish).

Favorite Answer

What makes you think Christianity is "so much like other religions." I don't know of any other religion that believes that God came to earth through his son Jesus Christ to tell us the truth about his plan for us. I've looked at other religions and I would have remembered if I had seen that.

Humans are constantly looking for answers and more often then not the questions do not have simple or easy answers. So, when those questions are not answered to an individuals liking people go looking else where.

Sometimes it just plan old disagreement. As with Islam and Judaism or the many factions of Christianity.

The definition of COP OUT: is to abandon, renounce or to rationalize.

The phrase is just argumentative and you a asking people to defend there belief.

So, you are correct in some respect that back in the day when there were all of the religious divisions people did renounce the teachings that were mainstream.

I don't think the basis of Christianity is anything like other religions.

Jesus told the Pharisees and teachers of the law...

"You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you: 'These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. They worship me in vain; their teachings are but rules taught by men.'" Matthew 15:7-9 (Isaiah 29:13)

Jesus did clarify some of the law when he came to the earth. You asked how you're suppose to worship...

It is a matter of the heart; not rituals or traditions. God wants you focused on and committed to him. We are to be followers of Jesus, making him Lord of our life.

Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. John 4:23

Additional: Okay...Jewish is the exception - we have the same mighty God. Christians worship the God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob. Christians recognize Jesus Christ as the Messiah sent, as prophesied by the Prophets, to be the perfect sacrifice for our sins, thus paying the sin debt we owed and giving us eternal life.

• Christianity is for those of us that want to have a life that shines before the world, God's true love. Not the love the world is shining. I am striving each day to be Christ like not a religion. If it were not for God's son Jesus, I would have no way of knowing the true way to live. I am no cop out, just trying to make it to a better place and trying to help others get there along the way.

From what you have written, it sounds like you have some

very good ideas and questions to ask......

I would recommend that you begin with a good book on

world religions or Christian religions and how they began.

There are many Christian churches because as people

came to believe things a bit differently than the church

they originally were part of, they splintered off into other

churches.

For me, that is not such a big deal. In my personal opinion,

God can work with people through many faiths......He draws

us to Him via things that help nurture us spiritually.....

things that bring us a closer glimpse of His Love so we

can share that love and care with others on this planet.

I really don't believe it helps us to argue over differing

beliefs; I feel that it is better to accept that sometimes we

perceive things differently.....so let's focus on the things

we can agree upon and make our earth a better place

to live---let's help one another to get by and not struggle

quite so much......let's use our energy and our strength

to do good.....

I do it in the name of Jesus Christ and my Creator.....but

others do it in the name of who they were raised believing.

I have faith that God will work all of that out.......in His time

and in His way.....

My job here is to care for those who come into my personal

space (home, job, church, community, online, etc) who I

am able to reach out to----and to learn to be the best

person I can possibly be and not make so many mistakes!

I wish you so much goodness in life.

I hope you continue to question in the sense that you search

out good answers.

My own personal opinion? No, Christianity is not a cop

out---and I am betting my soul on it!

Bless you,

Doris

WithWingsofAngels@comcast.net

Smith literally created mormonism out of his own desires to have certain questions answered regarding christianity. Although not a theologian in any sense, Smith's family were devout 'christians' but individually belonged to different denominations, even after Smith's 'first vision' told him to join none. Apparently that didn't apply to his family.

Back to Smith: His family was a little on the eccentric side with their version of 'religion': think of the wacko 'christian' fat woman on "Wife Swap", and dabbled in magic and folklore. This in itself is unremarkable when compared to Smith's contemporaries, but largely absent from official 'church history'.

Anyway, Smith made the whole thing up, revised it as he went along, and here we are today, wondering if it was really a valid idea in the first place.

If we accept the possibility of a God as shown by Yeshua and the apostles in the New Testament Writtings, then this God (among many other things) is one that Cares for, and Seeks to Guide all that He has Created.

Logic then dictates that this God would throughout the history of mankind, communicate with Him.

Now Consider:

What is really at the heart of most "religions".

That God cares for the people of that "religion" in some manner. This level of caring may vary from the "individual" to the group.

The group may also vary from a "family" to a tribe, to a group of like minded individuals that are within many different families and groups.

However the common thread is that in some manner and way this God seeks to guide, and help.

That is the common thread to most religions. That is at the heart of most "religious structures".

If you carefully examine most religious manuscripts you will see this common thread in each. The level of care varies, from acceptance of slaves and servants, to acceptance as a friend or even family member as in Christianity.

The real difference in the "christian concept" is that God Cares For All, regardless of their family, group or affiliation.

You're right, the way mainstream Christianity has twist and turned the True Christianity around so much that it no longer can even be recognized as the teaching that the Apostles taught after Jesus' Ascension. The Christianity that has NOT laid in the death bed of the Catholics and keeps the laws of God and follows the True teachings of Christ is the only way to resolve this dilemma!

God Bless You

I don't quite understand the question. All religions are made of accumulated platitudes and beliefs. Christianity preceded Joseph Smith and his Third Testament by about 2,000 years. So if anyone "borrowed" from Christianity (named for Jesus Christ), you'd have to look at Mormonism more carefully. What religion isn't a "cop out" if by that phrase you mean an abandonment of proof for faith?

If there even was a Jesus, he did sweet FA! The early Catholics made the Christian church and they knew that to model it partially on what was already in practice would make its public acceptance easier. The Muslims had a similar occurrence and that is what the Satanic Verses controversy is all about.

Well, to a degree, the person that made that statement is partly right, the Christian faith, of which I am a part of, has lost focus on Jesus, and most Christians are Christian in name only, so yes they use it as a cop-out. And this saddens me greatly.