Miguel asked in SportsCycling · 8 years ago

Does bike size matter? 700x35c or 700x38 or 700x40?

I recently got a hybrid bicycle, a Novara Corsa. It came with 700x40 tires. I used to have a bicycle with tire sizes of 700x35c. My friend has tire sizes of 700x38 and he said he would switch with me. Is there a real difference in speed? I want a hybrid bike that has speed. What would be the best tire for me? I ride more on the street and occasionally on some dirt trails . Please help. Thanks

Favorite Answer

The difference between 700 x 40 and 700 x 35 is only 5 mm in width. 700 x 38 tires would only be 2 mm narrower. Tire construction and weight can make a much bigger difference in rolling resistance than width. A lightweight tire with a supple casing will roll much better than a heavyweight puncture resistant tire with stiff sidewalls. That said, changing tires for better ones won't make a huge difference in top speed. That is because wind resistance is the biggest factor holding you back once you exceed a certain speed and the tires won't help. Your choice of a hybrid bicycle means that your upright riding position is holding you back much more than the tires do. Lowering your handlebars will do more to make you faster than new tires

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I recently got a hybrid bicycle, a Novara Corsa. It came with 700x40 tires. I used to have a bicycle with tire sizes of 700x35c. My friend has tire sizes of 700x38 and he said he would switch with me. Is there a real difference in speed? I want a hybrid bike that has speed. What would be the best...

Source(s): bike size matter 700x35c 700x38 700x40: https://tr.im/Nz6Im

The difference between the road contact patch of a 40mm and a 35mm is so miniscule that you will not notice any difference in speed. Tire weight and construction will make a noticeable difference. A lighter tire requires less energy to move it. Hybrid bikes will be slower than a road bike mainly because of rider position which increases wind resistance. However, I think a hybrid bike is far more comfortable to ride. How fast do you really need to go?

• John M

I would stay with the tires that came with the bike. They are better on dirt tails. The limiting factor on speed is wind resistance not tire size.

Yes it does! The bigger the vessel, the better, but only when the captain knows how to handle it! The vessel needs to be well controlled. Some captains think because their vessel is large, that does all the work for him. WRONG!!!! The captain needs to make sure that all the needs are met with all of his equipment. The size of the vessel is only one part of the journey!

• Rebel

Thinner tires will roll faster on paved streets. Wider tires will get more grip on dirt & off road trails.