100 mile range walkie talkies?

Im transferring to a 4 year university next spring ( its 50 miles away from home) and i wanna know if there is 50 - 100 mile walkie talkies, where could i find them, and price range? (preferably more than 50) (planning ahead so it fits in my budget lol)

Update:

i dont want cellphones or push to talk or any plans of such. the other walkie would be for my sister who is not allowed to have a cellphone yet.

Update 2:

and yes i am aware of nextel and boost and all of those things... but not what im looking for.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Best Answer

Unfortunately the radios that are sold in Wal-Mart and Best Buy with "36 mile range" on the box causes a lot of confusion. These products will not get even close to the range advertised unless you are using them under "ideal" circumstances - which they consider someone on a mountaintop talking to someone in a valley below where there would be nothing to block or reduce the power of the signal going from one radio to another. Under normal circumstances hills, trees, buildings, cars, etc typically reduces the range of these radios to 1-2 miles. Even more expensive professional grade radios will only get 2-3 miles in normal terrain.

The only way to get 50 miles or more of range (under standard conditions) with two way radios or walkie talkies is to use a repeater. This is a device that is very powerful and has an antenna connected to it that is typically mounted very high in the air on a tower or the top of a building. The problem is, you are looking at at least $2000 and maybe more to get one of these up and running.

One other option may be to contact a local two way radio company that already has a network of repeaters setup in your area. They typically rent out repeater time for a monthly fee. Most likely, however, you will pay these guys more than you would pay a cell phone company since these guys are used to dealing with businesses who need two way radio service to a fleet of mobile vehicles.

• bear4 years agoReport

Difficult to have such a walkie-talkie, the range can reach 100 miles。you can to best2wayradio.com

• 3 years ago

100 Mile Walkie Talkie

• laque
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

50 Mile Walkie Talkie

• 10 years ago

Yes. It's called Nextel.

Seriously. You won't find them. The reason good walkie talkies / 2 way radios only go so far ( 5- 10 miles or so) and not 50 miles or so you want is the line of sight radio waves are blocked by the natural curvature of the earth. You would need what is called a repeater system (amplifiers and radio towers and licensing) to get good reception over the range you are asking. Those start at several thousand dollars. So I would see about going with Nextel or some variation, as the towers and repeaters are already installed by the companies.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

100 mile range walkie talkies?

Im transferring to a 4 year university next spring ( its 50 miles away from home) and i wanna know if there is 50 - 100 mile walkie talkies, where could i find them, and price range? (preferably more than 50) (planning ahead so it fits in my budget lol)

Source(s): 100 mile range walkie talkies: https://shortly.im/H06mw
  • 4 years ago

Difficult to have such a walkie-talkie, the range can reach 100 miles。you can to best2wayradio.com

• 6 years ago

Actually you can download Zello and she can chat with you if you also download it on your phone. She can download it on a PC or on a phone using wifi to circumvent the need for contract. Saw you posted this 4 yrs ago… hope you were able to speak to her despite it all lol.

• 10 years ago

Nextel! You can find them at any mall cell phone kiosk. Price from $0-$500 depending on your contract agreement.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.