AF18 asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

Overdosed on Stress Zyme in fish tank!?

It says on the bottle to put in a certain amount of stress zyme on the 1st, 7th and 14th days with a new tank, and my sister thought I meant today so put it in, although I already put it in a couple of days ago. Will the fish be harmed?? I know it is just living bacteria, but I'm worried the pH may be affected etc. Does anyone know whether or not it will kill my fish? Should I do a water change? Or should I change the whole water??

• jogi
    Favorite Answer

Probably wont harm your fish. You could always go ahead and do a 20% - 30% water change to be on the safe side.

Don't change the whole water though. Maximum 50% water change and you're good to go.

Hi there - you dont need to do anything - it should not do any harm.

I have read mixed reports of that product - some people swear by it and others say it doesnt make any difference to the biological content - I dont tend to use anything like that when setting up a new tank - I simply add gravel and plants and with the filter running add a tiny bit of fish food - after 4 days add 2 very small fish - and then add other fish very very slowly - 2 per week at most.

I never lose a fish that way.

Best wishes

Lynne

Source(s): I am a fish keeper and breeder with 55 years of experience

No, you have nothing to worry about. As you said, it is only beneficial bacteria and will not harm your fish or the cycle. Just continue adding according to the directions and your tank will be fine.

8

Source(s): 23 tanks up and running at present. 26 years experience in keeping and breeding many species of tropicals, cichlids, snails and shrimp.

i might say do a 25% p.c. water substitute just to water down what you have put in there. i might try this to be on the risk-free area. yet i think of they might in all danger be alright.