Telephone Cord To DSL Modem, 2 wire or 4? Please help!?

I have a dsl modem which has a 4 wire/prong phone cord connection from the modem phone line to the wall but the dsl light blinks and only works and stop blinking with the 2 wire/prong phone cord i have. why is that? also my phone jack in the wall has a 4 wire/prong connection also. what's the diffrence in a 2 wire, 4 wire and 6 wire phone cord?

Favorite Answer

2 wire/contacts = 1 line

4 wire/contacts = 2 lines

6 wire/contacts = 3 lines

Generally most jacks are 4 contact, that's pretty much the standard. 90% of the time the outer two pins are not being used. However, it allows easy setup for a 2 line phone or to break out two seperate lines using a splitter. It should make no difference if you use a 2 or 4 wire cord from the jack to your DSL modem.

I also have experience this one and the problem is in the modem where the pc connects to the internet line that is connected to the phone/dsl splitter. I found out that it is not good modem so i request to change it. Another thing is probably your modem is choked. too many connections to be handled by a modem

• tamala

This is a good question, and one that confused me for many years.

That's not right

Finally, that's what I was searching for! Thanks op of this question.