Craftsman Riding Lawn Mower won't start?

I have an older Craftsman Riding Mower. It has not been started in about 4 years. I recently changed the oil and filter. I changed the spark plug, battery, fuel filter and got the tractor running. I took it around the yard a few times and it ran out of gas. I filled the tank and tried to start it again. It would not start. Eventually, the battery went dead. I recharged the battery over night and tried to start it again. It clicked, but would not turn over. I then replaced the solenoid and got it running. Turned the mower off and could not get it started again. I then took the carburetor apart and cleaned it as well. The mower still won't start. Does anyone have any suggestions?? Fed-up in Michigan. len-m@att.net

Yes, I have checked the choke and it's working.

I cleaned the carb. the spark plug is sparking and the ground is good. If I spray carb cleaner in the carb, it starts. I've cleaned the gas lines and changed the fuel filter. New oil, oil filter, solenoid, battery. I was told that the carb is working because it turns over with carb spray. I've also been told it's probably the fuel pump. I have no idea where that's located? Nothing in my manual about it. The fuel pump is not located under the carburetor on this engine. Any suggestions on where to look??

Favorite Answer

does it have solenoid on carburetor is its not working if dosent still something in carburetor after 4 years im surprise it starter at all

You missed something on the carburetor. Just because it runs while spraying carb spray does not mean that there is not still some passage gummed up, the spray bypasses all of them. I would take the carburetor apart again and get a bucket of carb cleaner and a rebuild kit. Soak the disassembled carb in the cleaner for a few hours or even over night and then rinse it off real good and reassemble with the new gaskets.

• Me Too

Was the fuel sitting in it the whole time? You might have a gummed up fuel filter, see if it will start if you (someone else) sprays starter fluid in the carb while you turn it over.

When you cleaned the carb did you put new gaskets on? If not it may have a vacuum leak. While cranking, pull the spark plug wires and see if they are getting juice by putting a bolt in them and seeing if it archs to the frame (ground) of the mower.

Also check the air filter and oil to make sure they're ok.

Start Lawn Business Success!

1

engine turns over fine but no gas goes thru fuep filter

It seems you got a lot covered. Have you checked to make sure the choke is working properly?

Here is a picture of a typical fuel pump. http://www.quickieparts.com/briggs-and-stratton/en...

Here is the B&S page for rebuilding one. http://eu-en.myfaqcenter.com/Answer/?p_faqid=3793

• Faith

try cleaning the battery connections. if that doesn't help take the battery to an automotive parts store and have it tested.

• Diana

Your mower's too old. Get a new one. It would cost you less in the long run than continually maintaining the older model.