Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsPhysics · 1 decade ago

can u see colors in vaccum?ie out in space?

how can color exist in vaccum?i mean allright photons can pass through vaccum but for color light needs to reflect an object or a particle whereas vaccum itself implies a lack of matter.Although i know that if you go out in space you would still see the sun as yellow, but what i dont understand is how, when there's no matter to reflect the photons in vaccum?

Update:

actually saw this question by kzaky : http://answers.yahoo.com/question/?qid=10060502042... , i answered it, but was still not sure, ended up asking more than i could answer and more confused than ever. i had to ask this to 'unconfuse' myself! LOL! actually because when i answered it there i wouldnt get my answers, the answers would be for kzaky's question and not mine.well , now i hope to come out of this confusion over colors. thanks in advance! :-P

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Why is space a big dark space? Because there is nothing there to reflect the light. You can see the yellow Sun because you are looking at the light emitting object. If you look at the Moon, you can see whatever color it is because it reflects the light from the Sun.

Light has two properties. One property is particle like (casting shadows) and another is wave like (diffraction patterens on soap bubbles).

Light goes through vaccum at a constant.

Check out

http://kosmoi.com/Science/Physics/Light/

• 1 decade ago

When we go beyond atmosphere where there is no gas or any other particles, we can see sun which emits light and the earth which reflects the sun’s light; if possible , some planets and moon which also reflects light rays.

In a sense there is vacuum between the heavenly objects.

There is practically no other material medium which reflect the sun’s rays.

As light wave is invisible and as we sense the colors only when it falls on eye’s retina, surrounding the heavenly objects we see only darkness. That is the sky will be dark.

In the dark back ground we can see all objects which reflect sun’s rays.

I read the question, “Does color exist in vacuum?” and answers.

Light rays can pass through vacuum. But there is no colored light like red blue yellow or white.

The color sensation is produced only when they fall on eye’s retina.

Some times if one writes say “a red color ray” the actual meaning is that the ray which produces red color sensation and not that the ray is of red color.

All light waves are invisible, energy cannot be seen. But we can sense them.

Often it is written in text books and all who study physics use the term, “the visible rays of light”

But the meaning of the term is not that the rays can be seen. But it is that the rays which are sensed by human.

If you still have doubt email the question to me.

• 1 decade ago

The light that you see in space came from where? A star? Reflected off of a planet, satellite, other matter? See the photons travelling through space aren't always white light. Some have had parts of their wavelengths absorbed by matter and are now travelling as what you would percieve as the color of whatever matter they came from. The white light would likely come from stars. Have you ever seen a photograph of the earth from space? Colors!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

color is just an interpretation that our brain makes of electrical signals coming from our eyes by certains wavelenghts of light. (if light can travel in vaccum then we are able to see colors there).

When light (fotons) strikes the retina, a multilayered membrane that contains millions of light-sensitive cells (rods and cones) detects the image and translates it into a series of electrical signals.

Rod cells are most sensitive to green wavelengths of light (about 550-555 nanometers), although they display a broad range of response throughout the visible spectrum. However, the images generated by rod stimulation alone are relatively unsharp and confined to shades of gray, similar to those found in a black and white soft-focus photographic image.

Cones, on the other hand, consist of three different types of cells, each "tuned" to a distinct wavelength peak of response centered at either 430, 535, or 590 nanometers. Stimulation of these visual receptors results in what is known as true color vision.

The relative intensity of the stimulation incurred by each of the three types of cone receptors is what largely determines which color is imaged. For example, a beam of light that contains mostly blue short-wavelength radiation stimulates the cone cells that respond to 430-nanometer light far more than the other two cone types and, therefore, that light is seen as blue. Correspondingly, light with a majority of wavelengths centered around 550 nanometers appears green, and a beam containing mostly 600 nanometer wavelengths or longer is seen as red. When all three types of cone cells are stimulated equally, light is perceived as being achromatic or white. For instance, noon sunlight appears to humans as white light because it contains approximately equal amounts of red, green, and blue light, uniformly stimulating all types of cone receptors.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

If your question is "does vacuum has color?", then the answer is NO. Only matter can reflect light and thus have color (and also objects that emit light have color.)

If your question is "can you see color in a vacuum", then the answer is YES, because light can pass through it.

• 1 decade ago

Colors can be seen in vaccum. Sound cannot pass through vaccum.

• 1 decade ago

its black and white

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.