Can you put a Ziploc freezer bag in the microwave?

I made a double batch of chili a couple of weeks ago and froze half of it in a Ziploc, it won't be thawed out in time for dinner, can you put it in the microwave to defrost it in the bag? Or should I put it in a bowl first?

• Jay
    Favorite Answer

Read the box. Those bags which can be used in the microwave will say so on the box.

Source(s): http://www.ziploc.com/. Click on "Ziplock FAQ" on the left side of the screen.
  • cedri

Are Ziploc Bags Microwavable

Can You Microwave Ziploc Bags

Lesley; first off, I would have put the chili into a Tupperware bowl before putting it into the freezer making it much easier for the microwave.

In your present situation placing your Ziploc bag into the microwave; upon a plate, bag un-zip partially, and may I suggest using the defrost setting for a few minutes to loosen the bag from the chili to place it into the microwaveable dish ready for dinner serving.

Same case with a bowl, less nervousness in my mind.

You can as long as u put a little hole for venting! BUT I would go with the bowl for defrosting! Once u puncture the bag to allow heat and steam to vent it could make a really bit mess in your microwave if it leaks ya know??? And I dont know about u but I hate cleaning the microwave! We're having chili too! I made a huge pot last nite! Always better on the 2nd day! YUMMY!

Ziploc bags can go in the microwave yes. you have to leave the top open somewhat or punch holes in it to let the steam out or it will burst . i suggest you heat it in the bag but put say two cups of water next to it so it says standing up

Products tested that contained no phthalates or BPA:

Tupperware CrystalWave container

Tupperware CrystalWave lid

Tupperware Rock 'N Serve container

Tupperware Rock 'N Serve lid

Rubbermaid EasyFind Lids lid

Rubbermaid Premier lid

Glad SimplyCooking Microwave Steaming Bags

Ziploc Brand Zip 'n Steam Microwave Steam Cooking Bags

GladWare Containers with Interlocking Lids container

GladWare Containers with Interlocking Lids lid

Ziploc Brand Containers with Snap 'N Seal Lids container

Ziploc Brand Containers with Snap 'N Seal Lids lid

Webster Industries Good Sense storage container

Webster Industries Good Sense storage container lid

United Plastics 21 oz Bowl

Saran Premium wrap

Saran Cling Plus Clear Plastic Wrap

Glad Cling Wrap Clear Plastic Wrap

Reynolds Clear Seal-Tight Plastic Wrap

Ziploc Brand Storage Bags with Double Zipper

Ziploc Brand Freezer Bags with Double Zipper

Glad Freezer Storage Bags

Reynolds SlowCooker Liners

Kid Cuisine All Star Chicken Breast Nuggets container

Kid Cuisine All Star Chicken Breast Nuggets film cover

Stouffer's frozen Homestyle Classics Lasagna with Meat & Sauce tray

Stouffer's frozen Homestyle Classics Lasagna with Meat & Sauce film covering

The following items contained low levels of phthalates or PBA but the chemicals did not leach into food during microwave heating:

Rubbermaid EasyFind Lids container

Rubbermaid Premier container

Glad Press'n Seal Multipurpose Sealing Wrap

Glad Food Storage Bags*

Absolutely, yes. You probably don't want to leave it fully zipped or it could pop with steam. You can go right from the freezer into the microwave too.

• mrs.b

I THAW OUT FOOD ALL THE TIME IN THE MICROWAVE THAT I FROZE IN A ZIPLOC FREEZER BAG AND I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT. JUST BE SURE YOUR MICROWAVE IS IN DEFROST MODE!

You can defrost in some in the microwave. But I don't suggest you do it the entire required defrosting time. Just put it in there long enough to get soft where you can put it in a bowl, then continue the defrosting process.

Hope this helps!

Source(s): I love my microwave!