Using VGA switch mechanism to switch between dual monitors & an LED TV?

Hello - I am trying to get a VGA switch box to switch between dual monitors on my computer and my LED TV - with only one computer. Is this possible?

I would like to play movies from my computer but watch them on my LED TV, and easily switch back to my dual monitors for regular computer use with just the flip of a switch.

Could someone tell me how I would set up the VGA switch box with the dual monitors and the LED TV - and if the resolution of my TV and monitors would cause a problem, or how I could take steps to fix the resolution problem?

Thank you.

Favorite Answer

Let me start by saying that I am going to assume you have a desktop, not a laptop, although you haven't stated that.

The only way it will work if you only have one output on your computer is if you want the dual monitors to display the same image. 1 cable out of the computer into the switch, one cable from the switch to the TV and a splitter cable from the switch to the two monitors.

I suspect that is not what you want. I suspect you want normal dual monitor control - where you can duplicate or extend the screen across the two monitors.

In that case, you need two outputs on your computer - and HDMI one to go to your TV and a VGA one for the monitors. Then you just switch the display port using the computer (no external switch necessary)

If you have a laptop, then if it has two graphics outputs, you could theoretically send one to your second monitor and one to the TV. (that's how I can do it on the Dell I am typing this reply on)

But, you need to check your graphics card performance to see if it's up to the task of sending out to all the devices at a suitable resolution

i've got confidence for ya guy. In my pictures card's( diamond radeon HD3870 twin dvi) administration panel i will the two clone, amplify or stretch my montior to my television. i take advantage of it for Gimp. Having my strategies all on one exhibit screen and the image on the different. there is likewise a button in my card's administration panel which will without delay hit upon my video exhibit gadgets. the unlucky area is a million. you probably did no longer let us know which pictures adapter you're employing and if ti has a administration panel. 2. i take advantage of living house windows :( . i replace into born with this illness. that's no longer by determination. I additionally use it whilst gazing streaming video with chat. chat on my little 17" and the action picture "popped out"( an determination under the action picture exhibit screen. that's something like windowed finished exhibit screen. much less stress on my gfx card and additionally scalable window) and slid over to my 40 two" element television. that's no longer HD whether that's nonetheless is extra appropriate than my 17".