iluvmypets asked in PetsFish · 9 years ago

Are slate rocks safe to use in fish tanks?

If so, will they be ok to use to put java moss on for a cherry shrimp tank? If not, what would be good to use for java moss?

Thank you for any helping.

I mean thank you for any help. :)

• Sharpi
    Favorite Answer

Yes.. they are safe and great for moss.

You can pretty much do anything with java moss. Just keep the temp on the lower side. Moss do not like high temps.

Cherry shrimp also like mopani wood (sold in reptile sections, boil it a couple times before putting it in) Lace rock, and floaters.

Java moss is one of the least beautiful of the mosses... Consider putting other great shrimp plants like christmas moss, taiwan moss, mini christmas moss, fissidens fontanus, mini pellia, flame moss, weeping moss, willow moss, mini rose or pearl moss, guppy grass, red root floater, dwarf water lettuce, salvinia, duckweed, frogbit, anubias nana petite, shoreweed, hairgrass, glosso, marsilea, HC, and subwassertang.

These are all very common plants in shrimp tanks. They look great and most are low care and low light...

All mosses will attach without any problems to any type of surface.

So do not worry about what you are putting it on.

If you wish there are some beautiful stones for sale out there. Google seiryu stones. Shrimp look awesome against them.

Remember to keep the sand/ gravel dark for the brightest shrimp!!

Good luck!!

Slate is perfectly fine to use in an aquarium (I use it in my shrimp tank) as long as it is thoroughly cleaned. I put my pieces in boiling water and soaked them in for about 15 minutes. When I took them I scrubbed them clean, dipped them back in, and they were ready to go.

i think its not good to use slate rocks cause it will increase the chance of breaking the glass. yeah moss u can use. it is also suitable for fish.