Putting baby food in a bottle?

We went this weekened to visit my husbands family. I was feeding my 6 month old daughter her baby food with a spoon. My husbands Aunt said you mean you feed her that food with a spoon. Put the food in her bottle. Thats a lot easier. I was shocked. I didn't know know what to say to her. I had never heard of this. Putting food in a bottle can't possibly be safe, right?

Best Answer

You are right. At 6 months old, it is dangerous to put cereal in a bottle because they are drinking laying down or at any angle.

When you begin baby food, it is meant to be given with a spoon so that your baby learns that drinking is out of a bottle and eating food is with a spoon. It is all a part of gradually moving on to eating more foods with a spoon. Contrary to popular belief, putting cereal in a baby's bottle won't make her sleep longer.

Keep feeding her with a spoon!

Source(s): Mommy of one tot
  • venske

Baby Food Bottle

I wonder why so many older folks think this is the answer to feeding an infant? My great aunts and grandmothers said the same thing to me and I was mortified! My child was eating fine with a spoon so I don't know what the problem was.

There is a product called an Infa Feeder that is shaped like a bottle and has a nipple on the end. It works by putting food in and there is a compression device at the bottom that pushes the food up as the baby sucks the food out. The only benefit of that is that if you are travelling, you can feed the baby that way, but really it's more trouble that it's worth.

Keep on spoon feeding! You're doing fine!

Baby Food Bottle Feeder

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avg79

Well twenty years ago it seemed everyone was doing it as a step from forumula feeding to solid feeding - kind of an inbetween step. It's basically watered down cereal so they slowly get used to solids. It has nothing to do with laziness and I don't know why it would make you people barf. It's simply too watered down to be spoonfed. People also said it would fill up the babies more than just the liquid formula. It was like an interim step between formula and solids. It was typically offered as advice for babies that ate a lot, weren't satisfied with just formual, but their bodies weren't quite ready for full solids. There's a big difference between dry cereal and jar babyfood. I've never known anyone to put jar babyfood in a bottle. Even if I did though, I wouldn't think it was gross. And I probably wouldn't think they were lazy either - depends on the age of the kid though!! Well now they related the whole bottle-to-teeth thing so it's probably frowned upon. I don't think I did that with all my kids - thinking just the two that were hungry a lot. The sucking reflex is natural for babies so it's not anything odd. And they might sell bottles for cereal..I may have seen them at the store..but I don't get in the baby aisle much anymore! Thank God because everything is so expensive! I don't know how these mothers with babies do it nowadays!!! My heart goes out to them! But I don't see that as odd at all.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Putting baby food in a bottle?

We went this weekened to visit my husbands family. I was feeding my 6 month old daughter her baby food with a spoon. My husbands Aunt said you mean you feed her that food with a spoon. Put the food in her bottle. Thats a lot easier. I was shocked. I didn't know know what to say to her. I had...

Source(s): putting baby food bottle: https://tr.im/zuqe0

No, don't. Formula should come from a bottle nothing else. If a baby gets use to sucking the baby food from a bottle it will be harder to break them and feed them from a spoon. Alot of older people used bottles for everything, but if you child is eating out of a spoon okay keep doing it. I started feeding my son from a spoon at four months and he did great. You know your child, do what best for her.

No, it's not safe. Your baby girl is eating perfectly from a spoon, so do not hender her development by putting it into a bottle.

Putting any type of baby food into a bottle can cause choking hazards. Sure, it may seem easier because you do not have to actually do anything but that does not mean it's safer for your baby. Continue on with what you're doing.

you can add baby food to a bottle and yes it is the lazy way to feed the kid. I always fed my daughter with a spoon and now shes 11 months and feeds herself and does it very well where as someone i know did the bottle thing and their kid is 2 and my 11 month old eats better with a spoon than their 2 year old. keep doing the spoon it will pay off trust me ;)

No, it is not safe.

At 6 months, you are not feeding a baby for nutritional reasons as you are for her to simply get the practice of eating, and of tasting new flavors and textures.

Putting cereal in bottles can actually contribute to childhood obesity later on, all it does is teach kids and babies to ignore their "full" feeling.

A lot of moms swear that putting some cereal in the baby's bottle helps them sleep longer at night, but there is no actual studied proof that this is the case.