Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CareInjuries · 1 decade ago

Ankle Brace = do I wear it during sleep as well?

I, 14 years old, sprained my ankle 8 days ago playing basketball, and today I went to see a doctor who was helpful in a nice way. I had been using R-I-C-E for a week, but my ankle was still very swollen and I could not put any pressure on it without hurting. Today, he recommended that I use an ankle brace while wearing socks, and put it inside my shoes. I now walk on it bearing a little bit of weight, using my two crutches and my severely sprained foot, and my other normal foot. My question is, do I wear it when I'm sleeping, or just during the day? I just took a shower, and now I don't know whether I should put it on and go to sleep, or leave it off and put it back on once I wake up. It's used for compression, as well as so my ankle stays put, I extrapolate. The doctor also says it's a severe ankle sprain, but does not include any broken bones after doing an x-ray. No surgery, either.

If you could help, it'd be very much appreciated!

By the way, it's an Aircast brace, Air Stirrup.

Also, I have worn the brace all day so far.

Also, my foot skin, some parts irritate, but it was from icing in the RICE way last week. It's red, and I just put vaseline like recommended.

Also, when using the crutches, should I put enough weight on the bad foot just enough to cause pain? or just enough not to?

Also, when I'm watching tv while sitting with my leg propped up on a chair with a pillow on it, should I wear the brace with sneakers on too? haha questions keep popping up in my head.

Favorite Answer

You should probably wear it at night,but if you can't stand it,then don't.I've had countless sprained ankles,with Aircast braces,and my doctor told me that I only needed to wear it during the day while I would be walking around,but wearing it at night would give me more protection.In all honesty,I think it feels much better if you wear the brace pretty much all the time too.Do whatever is more comfortable for you.

If you have skin irritation,try wearing socks that are higher up...At least almost the same height as the brace.That will help a lot.

When walking with the crutches,don't put enough weight on your ankle that it hurts.First of all,pain doesn't feel good,and second of all,putting too much weight on your ankle can cause even more damage.

When you're just sitting around and watching TV,there is no need to have sneakers on.Really,you don't even need the brace on unless you're getting up.The reason they say wear sneakers with the brace is because that provides the maximum support while you're walking...However,in reality,you can wear any type of shoe that the brace will fit into and still be OK.

Source(s): Personal experience.

1

Source(s): Hemorrhoids Relief and Help http://sparkindl.info/HemorrhoidsNaturalCure

Air Cast Ankle Sprain

Yes you should wear it at night time also. Believe it or not when you are asleep and your muscles and tendons relax it makes your ankle relax too, which does no good for the support you need. I am an EMT, but also had the same type experience. Wearing it at night time may help more than wearing it during the day.. Yes! It will be uncomfortable, but just bare with it and your ankle will be better soon!!

Source(s): EMT experience and personal experience with the same problem.
  • speas

Air Splint For Ankle

• Erika

I have sprained my ankles so many times and have countless aircasts at my house. I was advised to wear the aircast while sleeping every time i sprained my ankle/s. This helps to support it and keep it from swelling more. One thing I would recommend is to borrow a sock from dad or go buy a pair of high sports socks. I know that when I used them, if i wore my shorter socks, the plastic would irritate me. The higher socks helped with that, especially at night. You want to try to put as much pressure on your foot as you can. You dont want to lose your range of motion to your joint. Do it until you cant take it. Use the crutches as a support. This was especially important when I had my surgery on my ankle, right on my joint. The told me to move it as much as possible. I actually walked out of the surgery and used the crutches later as a support. Try to do as many things as normal. hang in there, it will get better soon.

I badly sprained my ankle about 3 weeks ago. I was in a hurry going down the stairs, lost my balance and landed on a bad side of my left foot, causing my left ankle to be stretched going on the inside. The first 48 hours were excruciating and the pain was un-believable. I've never had a serious ankle injury before.

So I immediately treated it using the RICE method. The following day, the bruising and swelling were so horrible. I found out that I got a second degree sprain and immediately panicked after that. I had a football game on that week and it been looking forward to it because I've been training for rt. I had teammates that had similar injuries and it took them months to fully recover, some of them stopped playing altogether. So I kinda had a short-term depression because I can't imagine myself not being able to run and play sports anymore.

Because I was so desperate to recover again, I contacted a lot of people that I know who do sports and asked them if they had similar injuries. One friend of mine, from the boy's football team in my university, told me about H.E.M. Ankle Rehab. I got a copy 4 days after I got injured. I immediately read and followed what was instructed and felt improvement on the first day. I was able to walk a bit, but I was in pain.

A couple of days after that, the swelling and bruising were subsid-ing significantly and on the fourth day, I was walking comfortably again. Although I've had felt a bit of stiffness, I continued doing what was instructed. My sister was surprised that I have recovered this fast. I told her about this book and was shocked on how effective the procedures were. I'm just so happy that this book was shared to me and how effective it is.

Heal your ankle fully & fast?

It is a good idea not to wear in during sleep unless there is a rick of injuring it again. It is helpful to let the ankle "breathe" or try to gain back flexability. In the morning and at night try to rotate and point toes up and down. Only do this to the point where it feels like a stretch and you do not feel pain.

NO!

don't wear it at night. too much compression of your foot at night might make it actually swell up even more.

just take it off at night, and elevate it by putting your foot up on a pillow while you sleep. keep the brace on a bedside table & just put it on when you get up in the morning.

good luck & feel better

• Harold

2