Should I get an 18 volt cordless drill? ?

I'm looking to buy a lithium battery powered cordless drill. I am impress with the Hitachi brand (price/value). I am using this around the house, but I want enough drill to never be limited. Still I have been told that an 18volt drill is over kill, but weight and size was I don't see much difference between the 14.4 and the 18 volt. My thought would be to get the 18 volt (regardless of excess voltage need) since the nice lithium 18volt batteries will be interchangeable with other Hitachi tools which all seem to be 18v. Is this the correct line of thinking correct? Or is it just too much drill for my needs? And what does that even mean? Any Help?

Favorite Answer

I would get the 18 Volt, but look for one that has variable speed settings/clutch for when you don't *need* all 18 volts.

Good Luck!

• meers

18 Volt Cordless Drill

1

I have been using all types of cordless power tools for many years. GENERALLY 12 and 14.4 volt tools have longer battery life and charge life. I have all 18 volt cuz I beat the snot out of them, I'm thinking about going to 36 volt even. In my opinion, for just around the house, 12 or 14.4 is best. Unless you plan on ripping down multiple 2x4's the long way, or drilling many 3" holes in thick lumber.

Hitachi is a decent tool . . . I have been using Ridgid tools since they first came out. They have a liftime warranty - this includes their batteries as well. You can go online and buy reconditioned tools at a bargain with warranty. They also have great deals on combo kits . . . I am sure this is still the case -

As far as buying a drill that is oversized -power wise- That should not be a problem . . . . if the size of the drill itself is not too heavy - or too big. As you stated it appears you will be looking for other tools that will accept the same batteries . . . 18 volt woulf be the lowest that I would go to for circular saw - or - recipicating saw.

I think because you plan to expand you tool system, the 18v is the way to go. Many manufacturers base their tool platforms on a battery of at least 18v; Ridgid has an 18v and 24v battery and Dewalt and milwaukee goes up to 36v. Regardless, the 18v will give you the most power for many of your household projects without having to worry about the battery running down. And since you are considering a lithium battery tool platform, those batteries should be lighter, last longer and give you a more steady stream of 18v power. Unfortunately I am not familiar with the Hitachi line, I would recommend into looking into the Ryobi brand is cost is an issue. It is a popular weekend warrior brand, affordable, although the Li-ion upgraded set does run $299.00.

My husband has a 14 volt drill and it's fine. my son has an 18 volt DeWalt drill and he loves his. i would think that you should get the best one that you can afford. The DeWalt ones seem to go on sale at Sears fairly regularly. Decide on which one you want and keep your eye out for sales. My son got the De Walt one for $130.00 Canadian ($100.00 off)

Give the above answer a miss. Power isn't always better. What you go for depends on what you need it for. For putting screws into wood, even something as small as 9.6v will be sufficient. It'll be lighter, so you won't get tired of holding it. When you start drilling big holes into walls, you'll need something more powerful.

You know if you are just going to do small jobs around the house, just buy a less powerful one, if you are going to go into business use it on a daily basis get the larger one.

DeWalt does not make telephones. Try Google to find a review.