what is evidence based practice?
concept of evidence based practice
- Anonymous9 years agoFavorite Answer
Evidence-based practice (EBP) is a way of approaching decision making about clinical issues. It is more than just the EBP process - it is a worldview. The decision must be made with the best knowledge possible from science and from practice (for example, quality improvement or core measures data) as it is interpreted by a clinician (with that person's expertise, experience, life knowledge and intuition completely integrated into the interpretation) who fully collaborates with the patient, valuing what he/she wants as the outcome for this decision and why. Patient preferences, as they are called, sometimes change when clinicians explain the science as interpreted through their expertise - we call these informed patient preferences. This enables the best outcome to be achieved for that patient.
Another aspect of EBP is the process for sustainable change to best practice - it is involves 7 steps:
0. Cultivate a spirit of inquiry.
1. Ask the burning clinical question in PICOT format.
2. Search for and collect the most relevant best evidence.
3. Critically appraise the evidence (i.e., rapid critical appraisal, evaluation & synthesis).
4. Integrate the best evidence with one's clinical expertise and patient preferences and values in making a practice decision or change.
5. Evaluate outcomes of the practice decision or change based on evidence.
6. Disseminate the outcomes of the evidence-based practice decision or change.
From: Melnyk, B.M., & Fineout-Overholt, E. (2011). Evidence-based Practice in Nursing & Healthcare. A Guide to Best Practice (2nd edition). Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.
For more information, consult the book above and the AJN EBP Step-by-Step Series:
Best wishes as you continue your EBP journey!
The CAEP TeamSource(s): From: Melnyk, B.M., & Fineout-Overholt, E. (2011). Evidence-based Practice in Nursing & Healthcare. A Guide to Best Practice (2nd edition). Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins. http://journals.lww.com/ajnonline/pages/collection... http://nursingandhealth.asu.edu/evidence-based-pra...