Fritz A asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

grip tape on baseball bats?

why do players like Jim Thome put all that tape on the nob of their bats? is it for better grip? better leverage?

Favorite Answer

Like maple bats the big tape "knob" at the end of the bat has been popular in the Home Run Era...the first place I saw it was on Japanese made bats. Companies like Mizuno and SSK actually made bats with large, round knobs about the size of baseballs. Sammy Sosa was the first one I remember doing it on a wooden bat with tape.

The thought is that by having that big knob shaped like a trumpet, you can relax your grip on your bottom hand through the swing to the point where you're basically holding the bat with just the thumb and forefinger.

As hitting coaches will tell you, if you grip the bat too tight or hold it down in your palm instead of with the fingers, you tend to "push" it through the zone. This robs you of bat speed and power. The "big knob" bat is like swinging one of those heavy weights on the end of a chain; a loose grip on the very end of the bat allows you to "whip" the bat head through the hitting zone.

Whether this actually works or is just a fad is yet to be seen. I personally have used a "big knob" Japanese bat and found it incredibly uncomfortable to swing.

they grip the bat with the knob in the palm of their hand. They use tape to build it up so that it is rounded like a ball, so it fits in their hand better.

This supposedly gives you better bat speed, since your rotation point is further from the barrel. but i think personal preference has a lot to do with it.

• Lori

I've actually taped by bats with tennis grips for years, and I've never had a problem with it. It's actually feels more comfortable to me because it is a bit more spongy/squishy.

so they dont throw the bat b/c he swings so damn hard