Do wi-fi signal boosters really work?

My wi-fi transmotter is located in my kitchen. But occasionally I like to sit in the living room with my laptop and work. Because of thick concrete walls, I suspect the signal gets weaker and my computer slows down. Will a signal booster work if situated between the kitchen and living room?

• Joe
    Best Answer

I'm not familiar with products named "signal boosters". However, there are Wi-Fi products called "repeaters", or "range extenders", that really do work.

These devices will pick up data packets from your kitchen, and re-transmit them (omni-directionally). Likewise, they will pick up data packets from your computer in the living room, and retransmit them.

There's a small performance hit due to the retransmission. But you will have a stronger signal, which may make up for it. It's worth a try.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Do wi-fi signal boosters really work?

Source(s): wi fi signal boosters work: https://tr.im/q7BGT
  • Lutty

If you are using someone else's signal you are stealing the bandwith that they are paying for. The best way to boost your internet connection is to go pay for your own connection. The only reason you are "saving on your charges" is because you are taking something that is not yours and using it. This reduces the bandwith of the person you are stealing from and causes their connection to be slower. There is no moral gray area here... Someone else is sending their hard earned money in every month for internet access and you have decided that you are above that and can just help yourself to their bandwith. If you can afford a laptop then you can afford to sign up for broadband access. Some companies are offering DSL for about 15 a month with a two year contract. So here's the advice: Stop stealing your connection and get your own. If you can't do that then go down to your local cafe, Starbucks or any other place that has free Wifi... buy a cup of coffee... and surf the net there... no additional hardware required.

• Marianne4 years agoReport

You obviously did not read what the read stated - se said her wifi was in her kitchen but the walls are made of concrete.

Do Wifi Boosters Work

Yes, a signal booster will work, whether wi-fi or hi-fi. It may be situated between the ktchen and living room or between the living room and bedroom. That doesn't matter.The thickness of the concrete walls can hardly weaken the performance of a good signal booster.

Take a look at a Homeplug (google for them) There are various different ones on offer.

The 'home' end is plugges into a mains electricty socket and is connected using an ethernet cable to your router; it sends a signal round your house using the mains electricity cabling.

You locate the second plug where you need the internet connection, plugged into a mains electricity socket. The 'away' end can either be one that broadcasts a wifi signal, or you can connect to it using an ethernet cable.

I installed one with wifi at my parents house and it works great.

• Neil

Yes, they work. And sometimes they are they are the best solution. Is there a place you could put it where it "sees" both locations?

But the inherent performance cost is significant.