Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

can dwarf rabbits and hamsters be kept in the same cage?

ok i have one cage and i cant choose between a rabit and a hamster if i give them all the stuff they need and a lot of space{3oo gallon fish tank

will they be able to adapt to each other or will the rabbit kill the hamster dose anyone personlly know like they have done that or wat

btw drarf rabbits r the same as regular rabbits just smaller

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

A fish tank is not adequate housing for a rabbit. And not the best housing for a hamster. That being said, it is a very bad idea to house the two together. A hamster is a rodent that eats seeds primarily. Seeds can be deadly to rabbits if fed in large amounts. Rabbits are social animals with a rather complex family group, and a hamster just isn't capable of fulfilling the requirements a rabbit needs for attention. Rabbits have extremely strong back legs that can crush small animals, or severely injure them.

Rabbits are very cage territorial once they get older. They may bite, kick, grunt and lunge at an offending animal. A hamster is the fraction of the size of a rabbit, and it will probably not survive a bite. Not to mention the hamster will most likely bite the rabbit at some point as well. Rabbits get abscesses rather commonly, and they can be troublesome to properly heal.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

NO! Rabbits and hamsters have totally different housing requirements. Rabbits really should be in a wire cage with open sides to allow for adequate ventilation. And rabbits can be VERY territorial and aggressive about their cages, especially if they are not spayed or neutered. Hamsters are also solitary, territorial animals. While a hamster can't kill a rabbit outright, they can bite them severely enough to cause an abscess and abscesses frequently do kill rabbits even when they are properly treated by a veterinarian. Not to mention that they can each carry diseases and micro-organisms that don't affect them but could kill the other species.

You need to go back and hit the books again and do more research on what these small pets actually need in terms of housing and environment.

• 1 decade ago

?

anyways no never no never.!!!

like the first anwser said the guts will be hanging form your rabbits mouth and your rabbit will probably lay on the hamster or somthing like that .

or pee on him or poo!!!

and rabbits and hamsters cant eat the samwe food !!!!

• 1 decade ago

No i wouldnt do that because your rabbits with eat the hamsters i tried it once when i came back there was guts hanging from my rabbits mouth and my hamster was gone

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

NO do not put them together

• 1 decade ago

not a great idea

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.