Beedjo asked in PetsRodents · 10 years ago

Can hamsters be put in Indoor Rabbit/Guinea Pig Cages?

Hi guys,

My hamster at the moment is in a pretty generic cage, which i think is to small. I have been looking at the other hamster cages and definitely do not want any cage with a network of tubes and tunnels, i want a basic one story cage (maybe with a shelf etc) but with a lot of room, there are very few like this and I have been drawn to looking at rabbit/Guinea pig indoor cages... They are pretty much exactly what im looking for, but they have one problem i can see, the space between the bars.

The cages i have been looking at all have around an inch in between each bar, is this ok for a hamster? If not is there a way around it?

If there are any other problems with it please tell me, or if you could recommend any good cheap hamster cages, please tell me, Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Hamsters are incredibly flexible and if their head can fit through the bars, the rest of them can fit through too. The link I posted below is for a cage made for rats with a bar spacing of only 1/2 an inch. It shouldn't be able to escape from it, and the cage itself is quite roomy.

You can also go with a glass or plastic aquarium with a wire or mesh screen topper. I have a dwarf hamster in a 10 gallon tank and there is plenty of room for a hut, wheel, bowl and bottle, lots of toys and a puzzle playground. Most small animal self-proclaimed "experts" on here say that you should *never ever ever* get a fish tank for a rodent because there isn't enough airflow but they are incredibly wrong. I am a registered veterinary technician and have had and have seen multiple hamsters and the ones that were in plastic cages had more health problems than ones in tanks. As long as you clean them weekly, tanks are great homes with no possibility of escape.

Anyway, good luck!

Source(s): http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productI... am a registered veterinary technician.
  • Linda

No way, a hamster cage is far too small for a guinea pig, sorry but you are going to have a buy the $100 but it will be well worth it, and hamsters and guinea pigs will not get on well at all!

no way do not get one of those cages it would def get away and you would never find it,but my hamster has gotten away in a reg hamster cage too but those rabbit cages are so much worse,i had one with tubes too and it would stay in there and you couldnt get it out so i hate those,and i think ive actually had one die in onw before and we couldnt ge tit out...i cant remember,but what ive doen with some recent deceased hamsters of mine is that i put them in a tank like for fish or snakes,but you could get a big 40 gallon or however big you want i did a 10 gallon i dont think hamsters really care if they have a lot of space but if you had like a long tank you could put a lot of stuff in it...for hamsters lol but if you do make sure you have a lid to go with it plus they can get out of that but you can buy those tnak closers or i just did velcro strips and cut them so that when i have the lid closed the strips close of the lid and onto the tank,but i do not suggest the guinea pigs cages horrible idea

• krolik

Hamsters love to climb and hide in tubes. If you decide to go with a new cage that does not provide some activities for the little guy you will have to buy this stuff to keep him happy. A wheel and some tubes and a hut for sleeping. These little critters are great escape artists so be very careful when choosing a cage.

Check out this site they have some useful information on cages.

http://www.myhammie.com/hamster-cages.php

The more room they have to move around, the more they will like it! The only issue is that your hamster could possibly squeeze through the bars, but that can be easily solved by getting a wired cage with less room in between the bars!

No, never put a hamster in a wire cage. They have the abilitiy to slip through the tiniest of openings! A glass tank works great for a hamster cage....just make sure it has a screen top.

Source(s): CVT, have owned lots of various rodents

It is lovely you want to give your hamster more space but a guinea pig cage has gaps that are too large and he may escape. I managed to find one that may suit you. It is pricey but I think all large cages are. I hope that helps.

http://www.pawspetsupermarket.co.uk/san-diego-crit...

thats way to big the hamster can easilly escape i would say you should get a cage FOR hamsters dont push your luck.

no, your hamster could squeeze through the bars and escape.

propbably something like this would be more suitable, its designed for hamsters, but alot bigger than regular cages :)

http://www.petvillas.co.uk/small-animals/hamster/s...

no it will easily escape