What bottles and pacifiers to use when breast feeding?

I need some recommendations on what soothers/pacifiers are the best to use when breast feeding?

Also what bottles are best to use as i will be using the medela breast pump and want my baby to take to the bottle?

How many bottles, pacifiers should i buy for my newborns arrival?

(i dont wanna get to many or too less so i am looking for advice from experienced people :D)

no i will breast feed most of the time, bottles will be for use when we are out and about, or so that my hubby can wake up at night time on his days off to feed :D

• ?
    Favorite Answer

If you plan on breastfeeding you should not offer a pacifier or bottle at all for at least the first 3-4 weeks or until your milk supply and breast-feeding routine are well established. Newborns need to do all of their sucking on the breast (not a pacifier) because that is what signals your body to make enough milk. If they use a pacifier too early you may never make enough milk to feed them. Using bottles too early will cause "nipple confusion". Bottles are much easier to get milk out of, and the nipples are different than real beasts. Starting a bottle too early could easily result in a baby who refuses to nurse from the breast, or tries but can't figure it out. Once you get the breastfeeding and milk supply well established with good old fashioned nursing you can offer bottles and pacifiers. Use a bottle that is intended for breastfeeding babies. Medela makes good bottles that fit directly to their pumps and have nipple designed to be similar to the breast. How many you need depends on how often you plan on offering a bottle. If it is just for the ccasional outing you could get by with just 2 or 3, if you are going to be working and away from the baby a lot you may need a dozen. I have always used orthodontic pacifiers like nuk or bink so they won't mess up the baby's teeth when they come in, however I did have trouble getting my son to take it since it is so different from a breast. Look for a pacifier designed for a breastfeeding baby. You should be able to get by with one or 2, but if you are like me and tend to loose those things a lot you might need backups. But to answer your question, you don't need (and should't use) any pacifiers or bottles for your baby's arrival. After a few weeks when the nursing is well established, start with a couple of pacifiers (perhaps try acoupke different kinds to see what your baby prefers) the number of bottles really depends on how often you will use them and how often you want to be washing them.

• Toby

I wouldn't buy too many of either at first because most kids are very particular about their bottles and pacis, and it's hard to say which one they'll like best. You just have to use trial and error.

That being said, I can tell you that my daughter has liked the Dr. Brown's natural flow, wide-neck bottles. It's really important to get the wide-neck for breastfed babies because that nipple is most like the breast. So you could get a couple of those and see how your little one likes it. It's been great for us.

As for pacis, I have no idea why babies choose the pacis they do because my baby's paci of choice is nothing like the bottle or breast. She will ONLY take a MAM soother, though we've tried many others.

The good thing is that you'll probably need to wait at least 2-4 weeks before introducing the bottle or paci, just so that breastfeeding is well-established. So you don't need to stash up right now. And it's one of those things you just have to keep trying. My daughter wouldn't take a paci or bottle really well until almost 3 months, so you never can tell.

Hope that's helpful. Good luck! :)

Source(s): mommy to a 4-month-old baby girl

None. What you are contemplating is not as convenient as it seems -- you're going to give a bottle in public? Okay, what are you going to do about being engorged and leaking?

As for the theory that Dad will wake up while Mummy blissfully slumbers -- (1) you will wake up whether you like it or not, (2) in the early days you will need to get up anyway to pump, (3) if there is a Dad who brings Mom the cleaned pump, amuses baby while she pumps, collects the milk and deals with proper milk storage, washes the pump parts, etc, this section has not heard about him; you will undertaking a great deal of work and for what? So Dad can give baby a rubber teat he doesn't actually want. Not terribly useful, and lots of mothers have had their nursing made much more difficult by just a few bottles.

Really, these things are not conveniences for at-home mothers. If you are forced to return to work, pumps and pacifiers are great; otherwise, they are not helpful for breastfeeding.

I would read through http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/prepare/bf-links-...

http://www.drjacknewman.com/help/Expressing%20Milk...

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/is-pump-necessa...

It is easy to nurse discreetly in public if this is a big issue for you, and if it is a huge issue you can use a car or fitting room or...lots of places to hide.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news; just -- bottles + newborns = lots of questions here about how to deal with having weaned the kid to bottles. Also way increases the odds that the kid will get formula, also increases the odds that the kid will be totally off the breast prematurely. And you simply do not need a pacifier; you just chuck in the breast, much better for both parties.

Are you going to be exclusively pumping? Then any bottle is fine, but it may be difficult to maintain a supply.

If you just want bottles for occasional use, Playtex Drop-ins are good, as well as the Breastflow bottle.

IDK about pacifiers, mine won't take any of them.

• gile

i've got been applying Adiri bottles; they are made for breast feeding little ones, the Lansinoh breast pump, and neo pacifiers. None of them have brought about nipple confusion for my daughter. sturdy luck!!

I used the avent bottles and I liked them a lot. But i would avoid pacifiers. It's very hard to wean a baby from them (my son is a year and I've tried twice but failed each time because he is SO attached he screams constantly without it). Also, if they want to suck, they should be comfort sucking on you so that it stimulates your milk.