Best Point and Shoot Camera With Wide-Angle Lens?

Hey folks,

I'm trying to find the best point and shoot camera out there today. I don't necessarily care about it being packed with features or claim the highest megapixels. I'm looking for the best photo quality, with the best colors, in all types of light, and have a good form factor so that I can easily take it with me to parties and on trips (hence why I'm not looking at DSLRs). I'd also like it to have a wide-angle lens.

From my research, the Panasonic TZ5 seems like it may be the best. It's got a wide angle lumix lens with 10X optical zoom. It also has 720p video which is a nice extra. And it's got a good size/weight.

But the TZ5 is almost a year old now. Has anything come out since that's better? Or do you recommend something else instead?

Favorite Answer

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3. It has a brilliant reputation, very wide angle, Leica lens, F2-F2.8 maximum but is limited to a 28-60mm zoom - a great street camera. It has flash bracket, full manual settings and shoots raw as well as jpeg. It is a great low light camera for a small sensor digital. I have a range of cameras but the little LX3 is one of my favourites. It is also produced as a Leica, but at a much higher price - still the same camera.

Go to www.dpreview.com and check all of the reviews for all cameras.

My recommendation would be the Canon G10. This is probably the best all around point and shoot camera. It is small enough to fit in a purse or jacket pocket. It also has complete manual control, a 5x (28-140mm) zoom lens, shoots RAW and Jpeg and has the ability to add a shoe mount flash. With a hot shoe adapter you can even use this camera with studio strobes.

Canon G-10 is the best point and shoot on the market, AND has the widest angle lens....28mm equiv in 35mm film camera and goes to equiv of 140mm in 35mm film cam. !!!!! At 14 megapixel (fully adjustable to any setting you want, this camera has been compared to the Hassleblad and came out damned good in the comparison. Canon even has an underwater case for it !!!!! Running in at about $460.00, it is not the cheapest out there, but it certainly is one of the easiest to use....once you learn the camera. It is image stabilized, all the bells and whistles, but at the same time, open the box, point, shoot and you have pics! My vote is for the G-10...I have a Nikon d-90 and every concievable lens for it, but when I travel, it is the G-10 that goes with me !

Most P&S cameras automatically have a wide angle lens. Having manual aperture isn't going to do much since it isn't a SLR camera. I tried that experiment - failed miserably. I tried all different apertures on my nice P&S and all the photos looked the same.

midnite.scribe is right, it's definitely the Panasonic lumix LX3! That's the one I want, I'm saving up for it. The G10 is a good camera but when you put ease-of-use and image quality together, I'd say the lx3 comes out on top.

I think you'd be more happy with the canon rebel xsi. It's a very good camera at a good price.

The pictures are extreme quality.

You can check out all the details for it at http://www.canoneosrebelxsi.com

Hope that helps

• Elvis

canonusa.com

canon is coming out with some new wide angle cameras

check them out