Hair Removal Cream on Cats?

I have a cat that is really sick & I am nursing him back to health. The problem is that since he can't groom his fur has become very matted. I got a electric razor from Petsmart to see if I could get rid of it that way, but it was too thick & was hurting him too much. My question is: does anyone know if a hair... show more I have a cat that is really sick & I am nursing him back to health. The problem is that since he can't groom his fur has become very matted. I got a electric razor from Petsmart to see if I could get rid of it that way, but it was too thick & was hurting him too much.
My question is: does anyone know if a hair removal cream (i.e. Nair, Veet) would work to remove the matted fur? I think that it would work, but since the fur is finer than leg hair it might be left on for a 2-3 minutes instead of 10.
Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If you have tried this OR if you know of something that works on matted fur, please let me know.
Thank you in advance.