Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 1 decade ago

My cable modem is working but I can't get a connection to the internet through my router...?

and I doubt tech support will help me with a router problem. Can someone help or at least point me to a helpful website or something? I will definitely choose a BA for this one. Its a not so new nonwireless netgear router.

oh and we just replaced the modem

Favorite Answer

if your netgear is set up the same as mine, you can open a browser and go to 192.168.0.1 (you may know this already) and it may or may not ask you to log in. after doing this (you may need to find the user manual to get the password if youve never set this it) it will show you a webpage with settings for the router in it. somewhere you should be able to find information about connecting to the web, like login info and stuff. make sure the appropriate fields are filled in. You can also go to router status (for me) or something similar and somewhere it should have a connection status button or box. check that to see if it has even recognized that the modem is there and that it is at least trying to connect. do the things that seem too obvious to be the problem too. change the cables between the router and modem, make sure theyre in tight, things like that. Try turning everything all the way off and then turning on the modem, let the lights stop flashing, then turn on the router and then everything else. If you haven't, put the modem directly into your computer's ethernet port and see if it will connect that way. If all else fails, find the button that says factory reset, press it, and try this all again. worst case scenario you do this, but with my netgear Ive only had to do that once when it froze up changing a RIPv2 setting. Good luck too, routers can be quite the pain when they act up. You might try calling netgear tech support and see what they say if you can't get it to work, they should at least pretend to want to help you since it their product.

From your Cable modem you need to run an Ethernet cable to the port labelled WAN or INTERNET on the Netgear Router.

You then will need to run an ethernet cable from any of the 4 LAN ports on the router to your computer.

If you alrady have it set up this I would try restarting both the modem and router. To do this pull the black power cable connection from the back of the modem and plug it back in, then do the same for the router. You will need to wait a few minutes for it to all come back online. Sometimes after a blackout or power problem your router will require a restart.

Hope this helps

The first thing to try would be go into the router set up screen, there should be a section for running diagnostics, try pinging a website, if that works, that means the connection from the modem to the router is good. That would also indicate a problem with your ethernet port on the computer or maybe the cable.

Tech support probably would, actually. But you can try unplugging the modem, router, and shutting down the pc. wait a few minutes, then plug the modem in, wait till it finishes booting, plug the router in andwait till it is ready, then boot your pc. I have at times had to release the ip address in the pc as well. This can be done by start/run and type ipconfig, then ipconfig\ release, if I recall correctly, but try the system reboot first, that normally takes care of it. Rebooting the modem will make it get a new ip address, rebooting the router will make it get the ip from the modem, and the pc reboot should then make it get the new ip from the router, if set to auto config in internet options.

Unplug your routers and your modems power cords and leave them unplug ed for a few minuets. Then plug them back in and let your modem reset and try again to get on line.

Go to your router setup pages. (See your manual) and select "clone MAC ID"

That will let your router send the MAC ID of your computer to the Cable network. Many cable networks require a MAC ID before they will assign an IP address.

because your router has to render the internet connection and or because your router is a G router not a N router.

yeah get in the router clone mac address system tray right click diagnoses and repair

just restart the modem and wrouter