Why won't my printer print if the color cartridge is empty but I have black ink?

Does this make sense that my Kodak printer will not print because the color cartridge is empty? I have 40% black ink and the color is empty. I have tried to print things only in black and it will not let me print because the color cartridge is empty. To me this makes no sense that you have to have ink in both cartridges. I'm not printing in color so why does it matter if that one is empty?

I have selected to print in black and white. I did not know you had to do grayscale. I'll have to look into that option.

Guess I never thought of it using the color to produce black ink. Then what is the point in a black cartridge if it needs color to make black?

Favorite Answer

Change the printer settings to grayscale and then it will print using only black ink. Black and white printing uses color to create the black ink.

the simplest way to get to

settings for bw is to click on preferences in the print menu -grayscale printing-tick that. bye

You have to set it to black and white not color

for the hues.