Newborn baby with diaper rash that comes and goes?

I have a 3 week old baby-- she has had a diaper rash since week one. I have been using Desitin which seems to work b/c the rash goes away, but as soon as I stop using it the rash comes back! I went to the doctor and they gave me an ointment to use twice a day for a week and I did, but again as soon as I stopped using it the rash came back. Any ideas about this??

Favorite Answer

Try switching diapers, if that doesnt work them switch wipes... the only type I can use on my son are pampers sensitive wipes, everything else breaks him out... Your baby might just have extremely sensitive skin so you can also try to put a little vaseline oh her butt everytime you change her... this keeps things from coming in contact with their skin.

Ok, I have a 4 yr old and a 2 yr old and when they were babies they both had diaper rash that came and went, no matter how many times I changed their diapers. So a girl i work with had a baby about the same time and had the same problem and told me about "Aquaphor". I bought a tube out of the lotion/cosmetic area of Wal-Mart (about $4.00) and everytime I changed their diapers I used it on the rash area. I swear within 24 hours of using it, the rash was gone. Everytime they have any kind of irritation on the skin...(dry skin...flaky skin...rash..etc) I use this miracle salve. It's a healing ointment. I still keep a tube around the house just in case, you can also use it for small burns and blisters. No other cream or ointment worked for me, not even if it was doctor prescribed! Please let me know if this works for you. It is a white tube with a blue cap and blue and red writing on it. It's made by Eucerin

Could it be a yeast infection? Those are very common in the diaper area. If so, try powder probiotics that you can mix in her bottle or you can even make it into a paste with water and put it right on the rash. She may also be allergic to either the wipes or the diapers you are using. I have also heard great things about the product Aquaphor that some one already recommended. It's supposed to be great for sensitive skin and my doctor recommended it for my son's mild eczema so maybe it would help with the rash as well. Good luck :)

I would try and change diaper I know this helped my daughter. I would put destine on during the day when you change the baby and then use the ointment that the doctor still in the morning and at night. I had to use ointment on my daughter on every change because if I didn't she would get a diaper rash.

• Katie

I used to get diaper rashes all the time so my mom would give me some time without my diaper on in my playpen. She'd cover it with towels of course. Diaper rashes are caused by irritation so letting air around the area for a while keeps the area dry and not irritated.

Using Desitin is fine. There's no reason to stop. Antibacterial ointments can also help.

Baby powder or any other moisture absorbing powder is good.

Leaving diapers off for a while helps.

Frequent baths help, too.

• jen

My daughter was very pron to diaper rash. I used the Desitin with every diaper change, which can get pricey, and I had to change her almost immediately after she would go, very expensive as well.

• hstris

their bums are really sensitive, what kind of diapers are you using? Maybe try switching brands. Also, if you don't want to use the a cream all the time try some good ole petroleum jelly to help keep the rash away.

If you breast feed you have the perfect medicine right with you. Put some mothers milk on your baby after cleaning up, no ointment at all. Try this for 2-3 days you will be amazed at the results.

It may be the brand of diaper you are using if it's continually coming back. Which brand are you using?