Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareLaptops & Notebooks · 1 decade ago

How do you get vomit out of a laptop keyboard?

My roommate was totally hammered the other night while chatting with his friends on Yahoo Messenger on MY laptop. When I came home, he was passed out, with his head on my keyboard, and pretty much puked on everything left of 5,T,G,B.

Both Best Buy and Circuit City refuse to clean it, saying that they don't offer that service. The keys still work, surprisingly, but obviously they don't feel right.

I've been using an external USB keyboard lately, but eventually, I have to get this cleaned out.

Any help would be great.

Favorite Answer

You will never get the smell out from under the keys. Tell your room mate he owes you $35 for a new one.

Oh you poor thing!

It's unfortunate it was left to dry, or you'd have a better chance of cleaning it. You can at least do the best you can, although that may not work totally if it was the peas n carrots kind of vomit ...

My recomendation:

Make sure the laptop is turned off and unplugged from the power source, obviously.

Firstly, use a vacuum cleaner with the brush attachment and poke it gently in there while sucking full force.

Then try wetting a face wash cloth or the corner of a bath towel in a weak solution of water and lavender scented household antiseptic liquid. Squeeze the cloth right out so it's just damp, and give those keys a good wiping over. Use a cotton bud / Q tip dampened in the same solution to clean as far as you can between the keys.

The lavender stuff does a good job at eliminating stench, but unless you're willing to try and take the keys off, which could seriously damage it worse, you're probably going to have a wee bit of smell there for a while.

Another good cleaning wipe is those alcohol based "computer wipes" you can get from $2 shops.

Good luck.

ROFLMAO

This is the funniest question I've seen since a long time!

Just get the keyboard replaced, and hang the old one above your roommate's desk, as a reminder.

• SFNDX

Dude, get a new keyboard. How could you get it rid of horrendous smell?

Make him pay for the keyboard. Or, forgive him, it's pretty cheap.

You can get a new one from here:

http://newegg.com

Take it apart and clean it./ put it backtogether ike a puzzle or even modify your keys//

I know a guy that had all of his keys blanked out which means if anybody gets behind his deask and wants to type on his cxomputer you best know typing and where the letters are becasue all the keys are blanked and only professional typers would know where the letters are.

Just buy a new keyboard. They're pretty cheap.

remove the keys 1 by 1 and clean them using a cotton bud dipped in a mild cleanser

Buy a new freakin' keyboard.

If you decide to clean your current one just don't use a water hose :-)~

I don't think you can completely get it all off...the stench most likely won't go away.

Make him buy you a new laptop.

Get your dog or cat to work and hope that they will do a good job on it! LOL

Seriously, go get a can of compressed aromatic air and blow the hell out of it and as best as you can; then pray that the odor will go away in time.

Sorry but you do have a problem in your hands.