Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureMythology & Folklore · 9 years ago

How do you find out what your spirit animal is?

Does having vivid dreams over your life that feature a specific animal make that animal your spirit animal? If not, how would you find that out? Can only native Americans have spirit animals? What exactly is their purpose? Can anyone tell me what a spider means?

• Salish
    Favorite Answer

I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really REALLY cannot STAND the mentalities that run behind these stereotypes. It is SO difficult to recognize that not everybody is smart enough to realize that this whole mythical aura that surrounds the very little the average american knows about Natives is completely BOGUS and was created by hollywood to sell movies. It doesn't help that new-age freaks, mistaken for the "real thing" (which I am, reside on the Rez and all) who are probably chemically imbalanced in addition to several other social and mental disorders, add to the problem by parading around like the bunch of crazy idiots they are, calling themselves windfire, spiriteagle, roaring thunder, etc while claiming to have a nameless great great great Chippewa or cherokee or blackfoot grandmother who's family hid the truth of her indianess until this generation.

Nope. No spirit animals. And the purpose certain animals serve in our stories are about as significant "spiritually" to us as the Dove who carried the olive branch in the Bible is to Christians. At least my tribe, and most of the other tribes I know of anyways.

Edit: Foedadea/Boo, I have tried to be patient and understanding in the past. I give up and get discouraged every single day when people confront me with this kind of stuff...I have to deal with it often, no joke or exaggeration...people come to the reservation with cameras as if they are going to a zoo and treat the people LIVING here like staff at an exhibit...it just gets exhausting. Especially because they have been "driving through the reservation for a half an hour and can't find any" (seriously, this kind of stuff happens often) or they walk into the museum and get upset that there arent teepees and human remains out on display (or voice recordings of chief Seattle's famous speech, lol) then go on to pick apart the aspects of your being that appear to be "genuinely indian" such as your cheekbones or eyes. (I kid you not)...and then start talking about their cherokee grandma, and the connection they have always felt to mother earth, or the spirit of some chief that came to them in a vision...it just gets old

I think if I had a spirit animal it would be a barracuda

Source(s): LIFE as a REAL native. Sorry I bursted your bubble and blew your self-validating fantasy. You're still "special" and "cool" and "spiritual" WITHOUT an "animal spirit guide"...just as I am and every other person in the world ;) If you listen to the weirdos that answered above me, I will have lost ALL faith in the average non-native american and will stop even bothering with ANY of you as it seems you all want to ignore truth and engage in your fantasy instead. My people and I are HUMANS, in THIS era, with a VOICE.

How To Determine Spirit Animal

Having vivid dreams over the course of your life that feature a specific animal may indicate that that animal is your totem (I simply prefer to call them totems), but the only real way you can be sure is to attempt to contact your totem through meditation. I've included a website under sources that has more information on totems as well as a meditation technique that I have found to be pretty effective.

No, pretty much anyone can have a spirit animal. However, not all Native Americans believe in the existence of totems (as I'm sure you've seen from many of the other answers) so you should probably try to be careful not to make that generalization as many Native Americans are seriously bothered by it.

As for their purpose, I think of them as spirit guides that represent who you are.

I'm not sure what the spider represents, but the website I've included a link to under sources should have the information you're looking for.

Sadly, I gotta agree with all the skins above me. We don't have spirit animals.... I also gotta agree that it gets old, Hollywood can glamorize fake natives or make up stories and it spreads like wild fire.... for awhile it was questions about natives and wolves (thanks Twilight) but this one never dies.... I hate being compared to new-age BS, all we can do is complain and try to correct the misinformed, however no one listens, even to us that would know.

Source(s): Full blooded Lakota Sioux......Unfortunately, not blessed with a spirit animal either, although the thought is funny. My spirit animal could be a squirrel or maybe a pomeranian!! LOL

NATIVE AMERICANS DO NOT HAVE SPIRIT ANIMALS!!!!! It is a new-age invented "idea" and has NO, repeat, NO connection with ANY native culture or practice WHATSOEVER!!!

That said, since the very idea is a recent concept invented by white hippies in California- do what you want with it. But don't pollute our culture with new-age trash. Our ways go back 50,000 years. This isn't part of it.

Please stop pirating and stealing our culture and heritage. It is all we have left. Stop sticking the label "native american" on everything to try and give it an aura of authenticity. Stop. just. stop.

Thanks you. (climbing off my soapbox)

Source(s): Navajo (without a spirit animal)

Spirit animals is a part of the new age wannabe Indians. It also is viewed from non native Americans from it being in movies and TV shows from stories written by someone who believes in this new age stuff or they researched and found this new age stuff and put it in their story.

Native Americans do not and to my knowledge never did have this crazy myth of "spirit animals". To my knowledge, certain tribes such as the Cherokee would sometimes invoke a specific animal (say, the elk) for a certain task that they were known to do well in the wild (say, ensuring fertility) and ONLY that specific task; it's analogous to Catholics asking a saint (say, St. Michael the archangel) to do something specific (say, protect them in a war). You wouldn't say "St. Michael is my spirit angel", and any Catholic who does is obviously not really Catholic. As for the mystical "my-guardian-fox-takes-me-to-other-worlds", I personally believe that there's not a basis for that in Native American religion. Then again, I'm not Native American at all. There is not one drop of blood in me that is, so I don't claim to know for a fact.

However, this, I do know, for a fact, and can claim to be pretty knowledgeable about, so I better head you off before you go digging around in occult bookstores and get another silly idea into your head. There are religions such as African tribal religions, etc, and my personal area of study, ancient Celtic paganism, that attatch significance to animals. Spirit guides? Heck no!

For example, among the Celts, specifically under the Druids in Britain and somewhat in Ireland, there was attatched symbolism to animals: the Druids themselves would consider themselves tied to one or more animals as part of a representation of their spiritual power and what they aimed to do (i.e. those who wanted to be known for quickness and intelligence would consider themselves tied to fish), and sometimes a "line" such as the ancient, greater O'Connors would find themselves associated with an animal as a symbol. This is highly misunderstood and totally corrupted in the New Age philosophy, and as an Irishwoman and a keen studier of the ancient Celtic and specifically Irish religions myself, I can say there's nothing like the ridiculous New Age crap that you see in occult bookstores in either my own religion or Native American beliefs.

I don't claim to know everything. However, this is a fact: In all the traditions that I've researched, it comes down to this: ANIMALS WERE SYMBOLS AND ADMIRED FOR THE QUALITIES PERCIEVED AS UNIQUE TO THEIR SPECIES, NOT SPIRIT GUIDES.

I can certainly understand how irritating and infuriating it must be for SalishLady and the others who have answered here to see their culture so misunderstood, mistranslated, and downright commercialized. However, I don't think they should've jumped all over you, as you obviously don't know any better.

A spider's not among the twenty or so animals recognized as "spiritually powerful" in the Celtic pantheon, so I wouldn't know the symbolism behind that. Look up Anansi's myths under African tribal mythology. (No, they didn't have spirit guides either.)

Psychic channelers claim to be able to see a person's spirit animal. A few have told me that mine is a cat-like spirit and added that it has appeared as a dream image (it has, actually) . Channelers claim to see past lives and protection spirits. It is said to apply to all people, regardless of whether or not you are tribal. Look through native american spiritual guide books available at your local metaphysical shops and find out what they have to say about spiders. It is probably not a bad thing, so do not sweat it. You could also locate a channeler via a metaphysical organization, and they might be able to help you out. I will add that I am skeptical of all this, but I am naturally curious, so I explore...

Hope this answers part of your question (...dismiss the snarky answers.)

spirit animals, or a power animal is basically a representation of a person's connection to all life, their qualities of character, and their power. here is a link that gives step by step instruction on how to find out what your power animal is:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2202396_power-animal.html

i hope this helps.

this is what the spider means:

Spider - The spider represents creativity and the weaving of fate. Everything you do in the present will help determine your future. The past always influences the present and the future. It also teaches the need to maintain balance between the past and the future.

life has a lot of lessons that we learn through animals. my spirit animal is the grey fox. the best way to find out is to meditate an ask your spirit animal to make it self known to you.