Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 decade ago

How better do you think USA will be if Americans became like the Romans(disciplined and sacrificers)?

As you know Americans today are undisciplined ,unmilitaristic,and many of them willingly abandon the country in war time or economic crises(Such as many immigrants now leaving USA because of economic crises).Despite our lack of discipline and willingness to make huge sacrifices for the state,we are still the most powerful military power and one of the most economically powerful nations.We made progression that outmatches many first world countries including Japan,Germany,Britain and France.We have the highest standards of living in the world.But any of you think we should start emulating the Roman people,gaining their tough virtues(such as strict discipline)?I think Americans should start becoming as Industrious as the Roman.I also think Americans should start becoming a culture of strict Discipline.We Americans should,instead of heavily adoring football and baseball players and pop singers,should begin to hold the miltary with the same sacred regard we give to

athletes,actors,singers,and celebrties!

We should also stop being selfish individualist and attain the Number one virtue that made the Romans become a superpower:Willingness to sacrifice everything(including our wealth and even our families) for the sake of survival of the state!If we Americans had the Roman virtues I bet we will never fall and that we will always be the most powerful country in the world!

Favorite Answer

I agree!

(I have Roman ancestry)

I'd die for my country, die for my brothers

Die for the innocent... I think we should do what Israel does (Italy use to do that, but they stopped), everyone, (male or female) has to join the reserves for some odd years as soon as they're 18, we need to put some pride back into out country.. I mean, we're so liberal, people want murders, rapists, child molesters to live :S some say its not our choice its Gods, but how is that any different then locking him up for 40-60 years, plus, it may be God's choice, but we sure as hell can speed up the process, kill him and let God decide, he has no place in a civilized civilian community, anyway, yes, I think we should become more like the Romans, And the great thing about the Romans, was that just as willing as they were to die or fight, they were great inventors, and put alot of time into science and what not, if we had that balance, Science/ Military power, we'd definitely be on top

Go read a history book and quit watching 300.

Romans were imperialistic and most people were not free.

Do you want to be indentured for 20 years in the Army, away from your family, fighting to conquer some far away land for your Emperor to make him richer. I don't.

They fought expensive wars while people starved at home.

The top 1% owned everything and they ran the country into the ground with greed.

That's why Rome fell from power.

I consider my rights and freedom more important than a State.

If that's what you want hope you find it, just don't bring it here.

should we also start basing our economy on plunder? and replacing our plumbing with lead pipes?

Do you realize how stupid you sound right now?