Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Have the Americans created a situation where it is better to die fighting than surrender to them?

If you surrender to an American they are going to torture you -- point of fact that is who they are and what they do

Hasn't that created a situation where the enemy the US is fighting is far better to die fighting than ever think of surrendering to an American ?

At this point in history ---- it would be better now for "insurgents" etc to surrender to Russians or even Germans .....

Have the Americans created a situation where it is better to die fighting than surrender to them ?

Well Duh

You would be far better off to surrender to a Canadian -- ( in Afghanistan) or the British (also in Afghanistan) or the Dutch or the French (also in Afghanistan) than to an American because Americans torture their prisoneers ---

Favorite Answer

Absolutely 100% correct.

Did you know that in the waning days of WW2 that the German Mothers who sent their sons off to war would say-"As soon as you see an American, surrender immediately. If you see a Soviet, run away....if you can't-kill yourself."

You see, committing atrocity has a double effect. On one hand, it unifies the perpetrators in that they are all guilty of the crime (Gang mentality at it's worst, where several people pump bullets into the victim, so that they all feel responsible and are bound by their mutual guilt so that they don't betray one another). On the other hand, it almost guarantees that neither side will give any quarter.

After all, you've already seen what they did to your friends and family when they captured them. What will they do to you, I wonder? Also important-what will you do to them of the tables are turned.?

Atrocity is a cycle that feeds itself.

So, much like the Russians who were betrayed by Hitler when he invaded them without warning (in the sense that any warnings that Stalin got were ignored)-we too were far less merciful to the Japanese when we captured them. The Gulf of Tonkin, coupled with rampant McCarthyism caused a similar hatred of not only the Communists, but the Vietnamese people themselves. We are still to this day learning about the many atrocities committed by both sides.

For a detailed explanation of how we can commit these atrocities in the first place, I have provided some links in which I answer that very question.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AjHEU...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=ArI0v...

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AqnZm...

"You would be far better off to surrender to a Canadian -- ( in Afghanistan) or the British (also in Afghanistan) or the Dutch or the French (also in Afghanistan) than to an American because Americans torture their prisoners" Bingo.

This is eerily reminiscent of exactly what I said above-a Canadian, British, Dutch or French solider will not torture you-just as in WW2 an American Solider would not torture a German-though it was possible with a Japanese Solider (Owing at that time to a sense of revenge for Pearl Harbor).

Whether Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto actually said in the wake of Pearl Harbor-"I fear that all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve." is unknown, but that is irrelevant because no matter who said it or if it was ever said at all-it's incredibly valid.

I hope you don't mind my rather long discussion on the cause of Japanese Atrocity in WW2-but this question got me mentally worked up.

The reason for Japanese atrocities can be found in their history of isolationism. After the destruction of the Toyotomi family at Osaka Castle (1615 ad), Tokugawa Ieyasu established the Tokugawa Shogunate, which would see Japan become isolationist and nationalistic. While contact with the west was maintained via the port of Nagasaki, distrust of them was still rampant, and they were viewed as barbaric and unclean.

However, it was in 1853 with the arrival of Commodore Matthew C. Perry and his "Black Ships" that Japan's faith in their isolationist culture and superiority was shaken. The result of which was dramatic to say the least.

First, the Samurai who had dominated the social structure of Japan had a major problem. They were obsolete. First, the sword banning act of 1873 took from them their greatest sense of pride and authority. Then, the class itself was totally abolished in 1877 following the failed revolt of Saigo Takamori (which was dramatized in the film, "The Last Samurai").

What were these ultra nationalists supposed to do now? They were no longer in any authority due to birth right-and many of them were in fact educated, literate and intelligent. Many of them ended up joining the government, or finding jobs in education and newspaper companies. Considering a newly disenfranchised group of extremely proud intelligent and educated individuals took to these three major occupations-it's no surprise that Japan would become an ultra-nationalistic nation again-but this time-it was to be imperialistic.

The ultra loyalty to lords in Bushido-the samurai code that was revived and bastardized in WW2-was transferred to the commanders in the field. Any slight against this code (real or imagined) would result in savage beatings for the Japanese soldiers. As a way to relive this incredible stress, and as a part of the larger assumption that the Chinese were at best weak and at worst working with the "Barbarians", created an environment where atrocity was easily committed.

Source(s): Study of Military History Study of Military Strategy "On Killing, The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society" by Lt. Col. Dave Grossman "The Lucifer Effect, Understanding how Good people turn Evil" by Phillip J. Zimbardo
  • Alice

I'm a 1st generation American and a Veteran. I'm having difficulty following you with republicans and all? Wilson, FDR, Truman, Johnson...these were all democrats. Refreshing you a little: That was WWI. WWII, Korea and Vietnam. It think it was Republicans who got us out of them. Though Truman ended WWII. Regarding the rest of it. I trained and fought with some of the best men I ever knew and ever will know. Many did not get to be as old as I am now. Our cause was noble. Bad things happen in war. It's not like TV at all. To save my family and to save any one of those wonderful men that I served with; I must confess that I would do most anything. If water boarding was chapter 1; I'd crack the book at around chapter 20. That's how I feel. Our enemies are not bound by any code or any scruples at all. Our enemies don't use books...they're naturals. They're not measuring us by some higher standard that's in the imagination of most desk jocks or arm chair politicians. (in recent generations, you'll look pretty hard before you'll find a democrat who actually served in the military) I disagreed with one of my contemporaries...John McCain when he ran on the platform. Was he tortured? Yes. Did North Vietnam sign the Geneva Convention? Also yes... This lofty platitude playing field may only exist in the minds of those that have never been on a real battlefield.

I guess that's the point.

This is the 1st war we started being "ok" with it. I'm not saying it never happened in past wars we've been in, but you never heard of this stuff happening in any other past wars, unless it was US being tortured. I guess our military & government figured..... "if tthey are doing to us, we should do it too. We got our torture methods from the Asians. Just take a look at what the Vietnamese did to our prisoners, and what the Chinese did to their prisoners. Then take a VERY close look at what the Iraqies & Afghanistanians do to our prisoners when they catch them. At least we're not chopping/sawing heads and limbs off like them..... and then broadcasting it for anyone and everyone to see.

Don't get the wrong idea, I don't agree with torture, except maybe in some very rare cases. If you're a war prisoner of ANY country, you can expect some torure to happen, it's not like America is the only country that's done it. There are far worse and you know it.

Surrendering to an enemy is bad- surrendering to a certainly nationality makes no difference.

What possible 'situation' could the Americans create for a Muslim to make it 'MORE' desirable to die?

That's the plan they started with. That's their recruiting tool.

The honor, glory and heavenly reward of killing and being killed.

They consider themselves 'BETTER OFF' dead!

They actually have less respect for anyone who would take them prisoner rather than just cut their heads off.

You haven't been paying attention.

ROFL, yes, the USA does torture. But so does every other country in existence you retard. And not to mention that we don't cut off body parts. Can't say that for the towel heads that run around chopping off peoples heads on al ja zar or how ever you spell it.

point in fact you're an idiot. Why do you think we are all alone in Afghanistan? We aren't you know. We are part of a very large coalition of military troops.

God I hope so.

I'd rather see them dead than alive. Works out well, huh?

And BTW- Barry the Boy King has stopped all so-called "torture". Or maybe you hadn't heard......

Source(s): 6 yrs. Army

it just a police action,

they lack the firepower like the vietcong who had the full backup of the soviet n china,

And one can get high doing it!