Can meditation induce greater self consciousness?

I've been meditating (vipassana) for a little over two years. The benefits I've achieved have far outweighed the negatives. What possible negatives can be inflicted by meditation, you may ask. Well, often I'm aware of being conscious - not of consciousness, but of myself. This can often feel very... show more I've been meditating (vipassana) for a little over two years. The benefits I've achieved have far outweighed the negatives.

What possible negatives can be inflicted by meditation, you may ask. Well, often I'm aware of being conscious - not of consciousness, but of myself. This can often feel very heavy and intense. Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I can do to become more conscious and less self-conscious?

My own answer to this is that I must have a very strong and negative self (ego) that is taking time to become fully aware of (not just during meditation sessions). I have always been one of those people who think way too much, analysing everything. Although, since meditating, this has lessened.

Thanks for your answers.