What's the best way to go about in making sure imaginary procedures that no one follows are well-documented?

That's my job this week.

Favorite Answer

Oh, you work in Accounting too?

Lucky you.

Policy manual. Indexed with dated/initialed revisions in software revision format. Feel free to consider random thoughts to be previous editions that warrant numbering or beta/patch things between updates. The more times it was revised the better.

Blocks for them to initial/date that they have reviewed this policy.

Long procedure checklists are ideal. If someone went to the trouble of checking off all those boxes it must be true.

Blocks for two sets of initials are ideal for the most important fiction. What are the odds of two people who work together every day not following the same imaginary procedure? Why that is as unlikely as owning pens of two different colors or knowing more than three letters of the alphabet.

My condolences.

I would suggest forming a committee and having meetings; these meetings will, of course, be more productive if you have a planning meeting before each one so that you know what you will be doing at the meeting. Make sure that you assign the documentation of each procedure or process to someone who has never heard of it before, let alone ever tried to actually DO the procedure. And to make sure that everything is understood, I would have a follow-up meeting to discuss it all again. At least that's how they did things where I worked!

(PS - loved this question! It took me back a few years! Seems that some things never change, do they?)

Source(s): Personal experience
  • kbk823

We're going to need binders, lots of binders, and flowcharts, and power-point presentations.

As a real word of caution, these "reviews" are often the first step from management when they start looking for ways to write people up so they can fire them for cause and not pay unemployment.

• Pamela

The judge

Drink a lot, get inspired. Get all your work done at the last minute, and I assure you you'll come up with something.

Use words and pictures (color) that are easy to understand.

ROFL.... I know exactly what you mean by this.... haha.....