National Readers Service and Credit & Collection Solutions Inc. Scam?

I couple years ago, when I was younger and more naive and gullible, I signed up for the National Readers Service magazine subscription. When I became dissatisfied with their service, I tried to cancel my membership, but they stated that it was impossible because I was under a contract and that they had already... show more I couple years ago, when I was younger and more naive and gullible, I signed up for the National Readers Service magazine subscription. When I became dissatisfied with their service, I tried to cancel my membership, but they stated that it was impossible because I was under a contract and that they had already pre-paid the magazine companies for my subscriptions.

After doing some research about National Readers Service, I stumbled upon a lot of complaints from people about this company as well as many people saying this was a big scam. I became angry at myself for falling for such a thing and I immediately cancelled my credit card that the company had in their files so they couldn't charge me anymore. After that, I kept receiving phone calls from various numbers at random times (that I later discovered to be all tied to the company) but never received any voice mails. Along with the phone calls I kept receiving letters asking for payments. Eventually the phone calls and letters stopped and I thought I was finally done with all this until I recently received a letter from Credit & Collection Solutions Inc. from Great Falls, MT stating that NRS would seek legal action if I didn't pay my balance. I did a little more research and discovered that this company may also be tied to NRS and may also be another scam attempt.

Has anyone else dealt with these two "companies"? Does anyone know what options I have with dealing with this issue and what I can do to finally get past this? Am I really in jeopardy of being sued and taken to court? Please help.