Homeschooling a depressed teen?

Which would be a more ideal situation for a depressed teen? Going to a high-ranked public school, even though she hates school, or being home-schooled?

Favorite Answer

Depends on the teen, the cause of the depression, how the school/parents handle the depression, treatment options available.

Top-rated public schools are often pressure-cooker environments that feed into depression. Giving a teen a break from the stress of school environment is often helpful - if there is appropriate support and activity available.

All the best.

• That's a toughie... do you and your teen get along? I'd say if not, homeschooling isn't a good idea, it'll just push her to the edge..

A lot of states offer free online high schools for teens if she's interested..

there's also alternative schools...

maybe even a different school in your area..

or how about an art school if she enjoys the arts..

I'd say use homeschooling as the last resort.. really.. because she should be around different people during the day.. but she should also enjoy it..

let her try some things out..

If she's someone who dislikes social activities, she will not have a good time in public school. Especially with waking up early in the morning, catching the bus, trying to attend all your classes on time, and trying to make new friends can be hard/ stressful.

If it was my choice, as a teen.. I'd choose homeschooling. I have social anxiety and hate the routine and environment that comes with school.

She may need to seek therapy prior to making a decision....but over all i would not let her just sit at home and be more depressed with no social opportunities. I think most teens hate school because they lack a focus and don't understand the process in relationship to prepping for a future. also a public school could offer counseling and guidance that she needs and that a parent might not be able to give for....teens hate parents...and a depressed teen needs help not a sheltered environment...good luck this is a tough decision...

Do you have a community high school? ..... If not what does she want to do? I go to an online high school which is just as good if not better then public school

Homeschooling!! Dear God, if this had been an option when I was a teen things would have been so different, maybe I would have actually made something of myself instead of spending my time hiding from life.

Homeschool and counseling.

• ?

being home schooled; if she hates school and it's the reason for her depression.

how about therapy for a depressed teen. and private school? catholic school? theres lots of options. i wouldnt wanna be home all day long being taught by my mom. ehhhh

Source(s): 14/f

home school public school is awful i am learning more in abeka online than i would in any public school

If she's sad, hug her.